PDA

View Full Version : Wheelie Bars?

Joe Dirt
03-30-2003, 11:14 PM
Hey does anyone know of any companies that make wheelie bars for trikes?

als250
03-31-2003, 04:22 AM
Hey J.D., fellow SX'er, Seems a bit silly! (kinda like training wheels on dirt bike,unless for youngster) :D But,to each his own. I think would be easy enough to make. Couple pieces of angle,couple caster wheels,welder, grinder, drill,etc.. Would they be for SX? Hmmm..... P.M. me if you want a set made,sounds like might be fun afternoon project! Where you at? Oughta put a little info in your profile! Be one of the "guys"!

Al

Madman
03-31-2003, 11:23 AM
Eastern Michigan Cycle (E.M.C.) in Yale Michigan has wheelie bars. They cost about $80.00. You can get ones with wheels or ones with a flat surface. I put one on my 350x for my wife to ride, she was afraid she would go over. This made her feel more secure to ride. :-D

Joe Dirt
03-31-2003, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. I live in toledo, ohio by the way. They would be for the SX i was just wondering about them because i dont have much area to ride around here since i dont have a truck to haul it in. So with that being said i ride it around on the back streets alot or when in snows i have a blast. I was thinking about the wheelie bars bacause they would be neat to have angled up far enough so when i get high enough into the wheelie they would grab and i could just stay on the throttle and ride it.
i dunno just thinking :-D

Joe Dirt
03-31-2003, 10:54 PM
hey als250 i just noticed in your profile you have 3" hub spacers. Are these the things that go in between your rim and axle to make your tires stick out further? if so how much were they? and where did u get them? also what do they do?

als250
04-01-2003, 02:31 AM
J.D.-Actually they go between rim and "hub", which is connected to axle,so your'e right. Got them off e-bay, $48.00+ $8.00 s/h for 2-3" extenders and (eventully) 3 hubs, 2 don't fit my trike. Added 6" to my rear end making it more stable. Can really tell on off camber hills. Not near so "tippy"! jlatvproducts.com has 2 1/2" in their cat. for $52.95 plus ship. I like them, but watch out in the woods! :shock:

Al

pics :D :D :D :D

CHAINSAW
04-01-2003, 08:07 PM
Hardest thing about a wheelie bar, is mounting it to the trike itself. I welded the underside to my swingarm, and the upper part I just got a longer bolt where the shock mounts to up top. I use pins, so I can take it on and off when I need it.http://casketcrewsnipers.hypermart.net/250rbar.jpg

There is an old pic of my trike and what it looks like on a 250R

Joe Dirt
04-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Hey als d u have a pic of the rear with the tires on? Is it a easy process putting the hub spacers on? Are there any negatives when having these hub spacers like abnormal wear?

als250
04-02-2003, 01:11 AM
@ ChainSaw- Nice R you got there! Looks like you did a sweet job on wheelie bar also! 8)

@J.D.- Everything is explained here: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=4702&highlight= Quite a long thread with lots of pics. Check it out, rear pics w/mud-busters :twisted: and trailpros :( . I have a set of 20x11x9 Shredders, only about 50% left on there now. Don't have pics yet, soon! Don't like them for their height, too short! Lost 1"+ ground clearance!

Al

p.s.- There's even a very informative post on bolt strengths by our very own resident Engineer Joel85350x!! Free of charge!! ;)

CHAINSAW
04-02-2003, 03:05 PM
The R is totally different now.. new black plastic with flames. I didnt make that Wheelie bar either, that was one that a buddy of mine paid big money for (like $150 I think) I got it for cheap when he needed some cash.

Joe Dirt
04-02-2003, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the info guys :-D

Mike Fort Laud
04-02-2003, 11:33 PM
The term wheelie bar can be interperted two ways. Either a wheelie (prevention) bar like on that 250R or a drag car. Then I see some guys put a wheelie wheel so they can ride on that extra wheel in the back so the bike would actually rest on the rear wheel and wheelie forever. The problem with keeping a bike in the wheelie position to long is that the oil is the motor goes to the back of the motor and you can cause an oil pick up problem in the motor and burn it up.