PDA

View Full Version : 200x question

3wheelingLoco
07-20-2006, 12:51 PM
I got a new (new to me) 200x about a month ago, it was really hard to start, but it did run strong once it was started. I messed with it a little, replaced the spark plug, put a new air filter (uni) and some other things like replace the old oil. It now starts on the first kick very easily, but after I ride it for a while (then kill it) it wont kick over untill it has been sitting for like 15 minutes, then it will kick over again on the first kick. I am thinking the problem is my carb cause the original owner was running it with no air cleaner and I know there is issues with that, but do you guys have any other ideas?

quick99
07-20-2006, 03:30 PM
To start off i would say take apart carb and clean any and all flakes of debris you find in there. You will be surprised at how much dirt can get in those and still make them run. Make sure all of your jets and other areas where gas and air will flow through are absolutley spotless. Just to be safe make sure your floats are going freely and then put it back together and see how that helps you. I have also had to clean the petcock out on the tank due rust coming from the inside of the tank.

Good Luck
Jake

bigredhead
07-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Check for air leaks between the carb/boob/cylinder..

Remove the plug, conect it to the plug wire, ground it to the frame and check the spark.. run the bike until hot like you mentioned, then carefully ( don't burn yourself.. hehe ) check spark again while hot to compare.

dakota13
07-21-2006, 11:12 AM
yeah i have an x too and before i did all of my mods it had that same problem....get a carb kit rip that *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* apart and that should eliminate your problem.

SWIGIN
07-21-2006, 02:15 PM
i had a 85 2oox in 86 or so and even new they were always tough to start when hot