PDA

View Full Version : Another way to polish Plastic PICS

Lomax
07-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Since my Tri-Z didnt sell i took that as a sign that i might as well rebuild the machine (from the ground up of course) I wasnt looking for a mint resto or anything and this polishing tip will not remove deep scratches, but, if you are wanting to make them dull fenders look new, THIS WORKS

Step 1. Get Turtle Wax Buffing compound and apply to the plastic, I used those little round polishing pads. After you have scrubbed that in, alow it to set for a few minutes (not too long, it will dry and not want to come off). Then use a rougher style cloth (I used a wash rag) and remove and and all of the buffing compound. Put some elbow grease into this step for the best results

Step 2. Now use the Turtle Wax polishing compound. again i used the round applicator pad to apply, but not the same one, use a new one. After it set for a few mintues I used a smooth polishing cloth to remove. Polish it like you are waxing a car and you will see the plastic start to shine up

Step 3. After you have removed all of the polishing compound, Grab a bottle of Meguiars Stratc-X. Apply with another new round applicator pad. When you have fully covered the plastic surface, buff on it for a minute, make sure to get all area's equally. When you have finished buffing the plastic, remove the Scratc-X with a new polishing cloth.

Lomax
07-18-2006, 07:25 PM
This is the Red shroud I polished setting next to the one I havent. Both of them looked the same. You can truley see the difference
All the materials I used (excluding the wash cloth) cost about 20 dollars from the local auto parts store

Yamaha Tri-Moto
07-18-2006, 08:20 PM
I have used that stuff before. Works good.

03 ORANGE SHEE
07-18-2006, 09:43 PM
WOW, i have a set, you want to try your skills on them??:lol:

Lomax
07-19-2006, 09:51 AM
WOW, i have a set, you want to try your skills on them??:lol:

It doesnt take hardly no time at all. I actually polished that shroud twice to make sure I was getting the best results. took me less that 30 minutes.

clutchcargo
07-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Nice!! Thanks for the tips. I'm in the process of sanding out a set of black plastics on a Tri-z also.

Lomax
07-19-2006, 10:50 PM
I found this out today, when you are done polishing hit them will a little Plexus

MTS
07-20-2006, 12:34 AM
Plexus is good stuff....use it allll day....lol