PDA

View Full Version : will leaking exhaust hurt engine?

hntr58
07-17-2006, 06:04 PM
I have a 225dx and it's leaking around the exhaust header coming out of the engine...the bolts are pretty bad going into the engine rusted real bad..aside from the exhaust popping when I let off the throttle will this hurt the engine? thanks

Fox250R
07-18-2006, 02:09 AM
In the long run yes it will...I believe it will lean it out somewhat..

bonkers_200s
07-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Instead of the heat being properly directed away, it will hold in the motor and eventually blow it up.

broook
07-19-2006, 03:01 PM
I burned one of my exhaust valves in my m/cycle last year by not fixing an exhust leak.:(

the great gazoo
07-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Yup, same thing happened to a couple guys know- leak at the head bolts,, & after a while it burnt the exhaust(I think) valve, if I remember right. Has something to do with back pressure(someone who knows chime in) I'm pretty sure.

Unclediezel
07-19-2006, 08:13 PM
after a while it burnt the exhaust(I think) valve, if I remember right. Has something to do with back pressure(someone who knows chime in) I'm pretty sure.

Almost --

In a four stroke engine , the exhaust doesnt "STREAM" like a two stroke--It Pulses. Between pulses there is negative pressure--(Vacuum) which can suck in cold air . The closer to the cylinder, the more critical it becomes. Drop an ice cube into a cup of coffee, and the mug splits down the side---Same theory--The valve doesnt actually burn until the hot gasses force thru the crack. If this was a leak at the muffler--hey no prob, but I wouldnt trust a "HEAD FLANGE" leak for too long.