PDA

View Full Version : top end replacement

brown07
07-16-2006, 04:23 PM
i am wondering if it is very hard to replace a top end i have all the parts and a manual i am i just wondering how hard it is?

holmstrom
07-16-2006, 04:41 PM
I guess it depends on what kind of trike it is. On my 2 stroke ty125 its real easy. On a 4 stroke it would be harder i believe.

hoser
07-16-2006, 04:52 PM
It depends on your skills, read the manual a few times if you find yourself asking too many questions or don't fully understand everything you read you might want to have someone with experience with you your first time.

What engine are we talking here?

Dont make all the rookie mistakes, don't use cave man tools and techniques like prying things apart with a screwdriver, trying to pull the flywheel off with a 3 jaw puller, don't use a hammer unless you see a picture of the mechanic in your service manual beating on the same part you want to beat, don't use power tools to clean parts or to remove old gaskets, don't be in a hurry only attempt this if your ready to spend a few weeks on the project, once apart you might find something wrong and need to order parts, buy the special tools required if shown in your work steps of the service manual, some tools can be made some are not worth making and are worth buying.

If you don't know ASK BEFORE attempting!

The only dumb question is the one NOT asked if you feel embarrassed to ask what you think is a dumb question in public send me a email and ask dumb questions dont bother me I ask plenty myself...

brown07
07-16-2006, 05:05 PM
well the motor is a 85 200x and i just put a new clutch so i kinda know my way around the motor but mainly just the bottom end

hoser
07-16-2006, 06:00 PM
well the motor is a 85 200x and i just put a new clutch so i kinda know my way around the motor but mainly just the bottom end

Thats good you have a feel for the bike already, again go through the manual step by step see what you think, I have never done a 200X so others here might be able to lend you better info, study that manual...

ATCR250R
07-16-2006, 10:30 PM
If you are just looking to bore it and put in new piston and rings then you should be able to do it easily. The timing is the hardest part and if you know how to do it the rest is cake. I timed my 200X easily but now I cant remember how for sure. I believe all you have to do if I remember right is bring it to top dead center, put the cam in with the lobes facing down I think it was, then bolt it up lineing up the marks on the gear with the head marks. You are going to want to be sure though seeing as you wont want to bend a valve.

Solid Snake
07-16-2006, 11:10 PM
I did our 200x very recently and it wasn't very difficult, just took a few weeks between waiting for parts to come in and also waiting on the local shop to do some cylinder work for me. The timing is pretty simple if you have a factory honda service manual, I had that and also a Clymer manual which didn't seem to be as detailed but still helped. If you need any help with the timing send me an email and I can explain it step by step or anything else you need for that matter. Lastly, good luck.

brown07
07-18-2006, 12:36 AM
well i will continue to read thru my manual and i will prolly start on it this weekend thanks for all the help