PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 200E Problems

ATCR250R
07-15-2006, 11:33 PM
For the people that dont know, I picked up a 1983 or 1984 Yamaha 200E Yamahauler today. I got it mostly reassembled and running and have already found a couple problems. The first problem I have is the tranny that only has like 2 gears and some of the time only one. I think they are 2nd and 4th with 2nd being the one thats there every now and then. It shifts very hard even when going just up or down a gear and the shifter hangs like almost vertical for some reason as well. What I was told by the previous owner is he was towing a car and all of a sudden only had one gear which he said was 4th. What could be the problem here? Another problem I noticed was if I turn the switch from on to lights for where it should be running and have the lights on it kills it instead. What could be the problem with that? I am thinking that is something simple I could fix pretty quick. Well there are a couple more but I will save them for later. :lol: Thanks guys!

freewheel3
07-16-2006, 12:53 AM
Sounds like maybe some serious tranny issues there but inspect the clutches good first if you do tear it down, might just be a problem with one of them. The shifter hanging vertical is not a good sign either but make sure the linkage is tight on the shaft & hasn't just turned on it.
The engine is supposed to die when you switch the key to the "Lights" position, just leave it in the "Run" position & use the switch on the left handlebar to turn the lights on & off.

Howdy
07-16-2006, 08:27 AM
I know of at least 10 of these that had 2nd gear problems. You have to split the tranny to fix it. NOT a easy fix.
Howdy

ATCR250R
07-16-2006, 08:46 AM
I definitly will check the clutches first then. Thanks for the help guys, kinda wierd that if you switch to lights it is suppost to kill it but I never even thought about the bar switches. Who would have thought....

ATCR250R
07-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Ok, I have an update, not a good one though. I was just driving it a little while ago and I ramped a driveway, cleared the whole thing BTW :) , and now all the gears are pretty much gone. Second doesnt work at all anymore like every now and then it use to work and now my only good gear, fourth, when it drives it makes a very loud CLUNK CLUNK noise. I am now thinking of the clutch and linkage being the problem. I mean I never heard of hitting a jump and blowing your tranny gears. Any help is greatly appreciated.

traxxasx
07-16-2006, 09:17 PM
You better go out and break her on down and see whats up before you ruen more things and maybe the whole tranny. Nice one on the jump, but now you could have caused your self more money. If you dont know how to slit the cases and fix it maybe just buy a new or used bottem end...i dont know.

ATCR250R
07-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Alright, thanks for the suggestion. I think it is done being ridden for awhile like all of my other stuff. :(