PDA

View Full Version : 85 ytz250 idle problem?

85ytz250nj
07-13-2006, 10:38 AM
when i first starrt it, its idles low and quiet, sounds fine really. but once i go exploring through the trails, it idles REALLY high and REALLY loud and im concerned that if this isnt normal could it be damaging something? my friend said that when it does that i shouls hold the brake and let off on the clutch a little bit and by doing that it does quiet down. but no one seems to know what is causing it or how to fix it.

Mosh
07-13-2006, 08:36 PM
is any thing sticking?cable,or slide or thumb throttle? you may want to try turning your mixture screw,are there any airleaks on the engine? reed gaskets base gasket etc.? sometimes if your mixture screw is not set correctly,it can cause a high idle.but if the idle is racing really high,then you need to look somewhere else.

85ytz250n
07-13-2006, 10:46 PM
You probably have a crack in your carb boot that is only leaking air when it warms up. Give it a real good going over and see if you can find one, look all the way around the boot.

Barry

MTS
07-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Just adjust the idle screw down when the bike is compltly warmed up, Most Will idle diffrent cold than hot....

clutchcargo
07-14-2006, 07:22 AM
Check for intake leaks at carb boot and reed gaskets.

85ytz250nj
07-14-2006, 10:13 AM
thnks guys, im going on a camping trip downsouth today and it will give me alot of time to play with my bike. hopefuly its nothing serious because the bike was in very good condition when i bought it. but ill keep you updated as i find out what the problem was