PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and Salutations

ichyfingerz
07-11-2006, 11:46 PM

30760I just wanted to say Hi, and show my 1st gas powered fun device aquired. A 1984 kawasaki KTX250 A1 Tecate!
Too me, 3wheelers were the obvious choice for me. It just fits me, and what i want to do. Getting into atv's without signing on that damned dotted line paper!
Getting this baby home felt so good, but the oil coming out of the exhaust head is not looking good. I am no mechanic by any means, but I want to do the work myself. I found the reprint on the shop manual, and it is on its way. Hopefully that will keep me from going over minutes on my "noob question account" !!
Any nudges on which direction too take with the rebuild by seasoned trike vets will be very much appreciated. I want it too run good and be easy to start.
I dream of summer trips to the dunes in Oregon and afternoons on various trails around Washington. I have a wife and two kids and want this to blossum into a fun family tradition of gas powered fun for all. I do not mean letting the kids run this one, but a kids version for them, as money is saved up while looking.
I payed $630 dollars for it, knowing it needed work..But I Love my 3wheeler and plan on keeping it forever!
In and out of Control-- Joshua:beer

ditchmud
07-12-2006, 12:29 AM
Welcome to the club, you won't meet a better group of people and whatever you do get yourself to trikefest '07 thats where I met some of the greatest people on 3 wheels in the world. keep the shiny side up!

nouseforaname90
07-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Do you know anything about your trike? We can tell you all you ever need to know.. haha.

SWIGIN
07-12-2006, 09:08 AM
that oil is just a normal pipe leak....seal the pipe

ichyfingerz
07-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks Ditchmud, trikefest sounds killer but i failed to find any info on where or when this is happening.. My wife is from the Buckeye state, we travel back there every couple years. The very southern tip is where her family is at, across the river from Kentucky. Cya round Man.

ichyfingerz
07-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Hi nouseforaname90
I really do not know much about this model, except that this particular one looks to be a survivor of some racing back in the day. Your SX is lookin SWEET. The double headlight really looks trick. All I got was a headlight unit seperate from the trike, but have not got a chance to mount and see if it works yet..Sounds like I came to the right place for knowledge on this KTX250 hehe. Later Man

Bryan Raffa
07-12-2006, 11:56 AM
:welcome: to the funny farm! If you truely love trikes your gonna fit right in here! great guys, great info, parts, You will find that this is the only place you need to go!!

ichyfingerz
07-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Hey SWIGIN
Thanks for the hint on the pipe, though I am going to figure out a way to check the compression today, just to be sure. Probably should have done that before I bought the thing, but I just could not wait any longer for some gas powered FUN. I am out the door, and gettin to know my KTX. later Bros, Have A Good One.

ceaserthethird
07-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Pressure wash that baby - ( not the Boy )

look's like it's in decent shape , Polish up the Plastic , Detail it !

Start with the Basic Stuff , Spark Plug change , All Fluids & oil's . I like Synthetic Oil but my wallet hate's them .

Clean the Carb , Drain the Gas tank , Good Batch of gas 92 oct. with Syn oil mix .

jsimonh
07-12-2006, 12:43 PM
If you do a search there is a ton of questions about Tecates that will help answer some of your questions in advance. I know they are there because I asked alot of them!:lol: :lol:

Oh and welcome to the board.:beer

nouseforaname90
07-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Hi nouseforaname90
I really do not know much about this model, except that this particular one looks to be a survivor of some racing back in the day. Your SX is lookin SWEET. The double headlight really looks trick. All I got was a headlight unit seperate from the trike, but have not got a chance to mount and see if it works yet..Sounds like I came to the right place for knowledge on this KTX250 hehe. Later Man

What you have on your hands there is a Kawasaki Tecate, and it looks to be a 1985 or older model. 250A-2 Tecate I believe is what they called them? Generation 2, I believe.
They have a 250cc liquid cooled 2-stroke powerhouse. Tecates are nice machines and supposidly the most powerful of the Big 3's 2 stroke racing trikes.

El'Capitan
07-12-2006, 02:25 PM
ahh, here is another thing about the tecate, you type that word only using your left hand.