PDA

View Full Version : how can i fix my oil drain plug?

scooterroo
07-09-2006, 12:44 PM
well i am in the process of restoring my 85 tecate, and while doing some tinkering around on it, i removed the drain plug to drain out what oil was in the bottom end, and when i went to put the plug back in alls it does is keep turning, i think the previous owner had stripped it. is there anyway to fix it? need some suggestions please. cuz now the little bit of oil that was remaining in it is leaking out. just a small drip drip, but still, what will happen when i have it all put back together and its filled up to the right amount. how do i fix this guys?

digity x
07-09-2006, 03:38 PM
drip drip drip, the plugs probably stripped or maybe you need a new plug? theres a couple of different plugs you can get ask your dealer he could help you.the x is fun dude''

deathman53
07-09-2006, 03:40 PM
get a heli-coil for the plug size and when you tap the hole for the insert, put thick oil on it to catch the metal shavings.

scooterroo
07-09-2006, 05:20 PM
hey digity, email me some of them pics from yesterday. especially of the table top, i wanna see how good they came out. i'll post em up on here for us. as for the plug, the threads are good on the plug its self, cuz i have that second bottom end and i tryed that drain plug as well, and the same thing. hey deathman, the heli coil idea, is that something i can do myself, i'm pretty mechanically incline, but have never done anything like tapping out a hole.

deathman53
07-09-2006, 05:37 PM
I did heli-coils myself, be prepared to pay $70 for the complete kit

Erics350x
07-09-2006, 06:00 PM
go to a auto parts store snd get an oversized plug.

Solid Snake
07-10-2006, 12:25 AM
If you want to get it helicoiled take it to a shop, they'll probably charged 20-30 bucks and can do it in no time at all.