PDA

View Full Version : 250 sx swingarm?

dirtyd250sx
06-30-2006, 01:27 PM
So I bought a 250sx that was done pretty nice, but then noticed that the sx had a drive shaft suspension with a bolt on box i was woundering if i took all that off if you would be able to put a sprocket and a swingarm suspension on these???
:wondering

chris200x
06-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Not likely no. It has a shaft drive. No front sprocket that is...

dirtyd250sx
06-30-2006, 01:47 PM
yeah i understand... but is there a shaft id be able to mount a sprocket to?

jchx99
06-30-2006, 01:51 PM
No, the shaft off the motor is facing the back of the bike instead of out towards the left side... and my guess is if you even found a way to put a sprocket/chain setup on there it would be a waste of time and would turn out like crap.. just leave it the way it is, the SX was meant to be like that and it works just fine.

crd00
06-30-2006, 02:01 PM
I wouldnt waste my time with it, an sx is perfect the way it is and there would be many problems with the bike if you did this, it wouldnt be worth it

dwolf8u
06-30-2006, 02:04 PM
sounds to me like you should have got a 200X or a 350x if you wanted sprockets!!!

atctim
06-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Technically, it is possible, but why do you want to do this? The amount of time and money you would have into this conversion would be grossly obese.

What is your reason for questioning this? I am just curious why you would give up the maintenance free shaft drive?

crd00
06-30-2006, 02:25 PM
I am just curious why you would give up the maintenance free shaft drive?

I totally agree, thats why I bought my sx so I wouldnt have to be changing sprockets and chains all the time due to hard riding. The only disadvantage with a drive shaft is that if it goes, it is an expensive job to fix compared to sprockets and chains but theres 250sx's out there that still have the same shaft is them(like mine)

dirtyd250sx
06-30-2006, 02:31 PM
lol maybe i should of got a an x or an r but i do like the sx alot but i figured that the independent suspension would of been nice and alot less heavy if use know what i mean ... just thought it would be possible if you took off the elbow differential ( spelling? ) and could put a sprocket there in its place...and although it is maintance free pretty much ... I still dont mind tinkering around on my bike although riding it more than fixing it more is also better hahaha

crd00
06-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Well if you like riding it more, then let the sx stay shaft, because you will be a long time tinkering around with a project like that :lol:

atctim
06-30-2006, 02:49 PM
The only thing (in my opinion) that you loose with shaft drive is a little bit of power. Chain and sprocket is "the most" efficient drive unit. You loose some power through the driveshaft, and gear drives. However, the upside to shaft is, zero maintenance (except changing gear oil once a year) - if you drive it like it was meant to be driven it will never wear out, no chain slips while riding, no messy chain lube, no sprocket replacement - it's pretty much a win / win situation. Got any pics of your SX? It is my opinion, among many others here on the board that the 250SX was by far the best 3 wheeler ever made - from an all around perspective. I could go on and on, but I'll keep it short.

What kind of riding do you do? Is this your first trike? What kind of deal did you get on it? What do you mean by: "it was done up pretty nice" ?

dirtyd250sx
06-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Jumping, gravol and trail riding ...this is my 3rd trike first was a honda 200es then a yamaha (not tri z) I bought the Sx for 200 bucks and it came with the smaller i believe 8 inch rims with great rubbers on them 200x front forks runs great only a small crack in the plastic ( rear fender ) overall great conditon good paint no bends dings or rust cant complain.....

El'Capitan
06-30-2006, 03:27 PM
the SX is perfect for all of those things with out any mods. Even jumping, i was out at a gravel pit not to long ago (the 350X is getting work done) so i was riding one of our SX's and it jumped pretty good; landings wernt bad and you could get decent air. FUN trikes.

bigredhead
06-30-2006, 04:01 PM
I absolutely love my SX...

Unless you are into Dunes and racing... you don't really need an R.. and the SX is as good and in most cases better than all the 200 cc 4 strokes.. only thing close is the Big Red 250ES.. but i like the look of the SX better...

El'Capitan
06-30-2006, 04:24 PM
yeah...but dont think the SX cant ride the dunes. Ive ridden one out at Sand Lake numerous times, it can get up most all of the dunes out there w/o trouble. Yeah, its alot better w/ an X or R but the SX can ride most ne where.