PDA

View Full Version : 250r restoration

brrcuda
06-26-2006, 03:48 PM
This one is going to be a showcase bike - it will never see mud/dirt again.

My 250r restoration has now started the buildup stage. I figured I would post pics of my progress as it gets completed. The first step was tear down and powder the frame.

This was basic red from the local powdercoater - was not a special ordered color and I think it was a very close match. Powder cost me 250 with all the red mounts and gloss black foot pegs/brake lever. Pricey but was a very quick turn around.

Just focusing on chassis right now- engine is last.

Parts that are going on as new:
new oem plastics - shrouds, fenders (all came with bike - no scratches at all)
new oem tires - rear ohtsus and front dunlop - not on yet
new headlight switch
new honda grab bar
new bolt kit
new stickers - oem where avail.
new bearings - rear carrier, swingarm
new honda fork boots

Reconditioned items:
repainted handlebars
polished forks
polished oldschool dg type 2 silencer
repaint exhaust
repainted swingarm gold - new pro link decals
black parts - painting odds and ends as needed

enjoy - here are the before of the frame

brrcuda
06-26-2006, 03:50 PM
some pics after the powder

brrcuda
06-26-2006, 03:52 PM
dont mind the mess in the background -

Dusty
06-26-2006, 04:10 PM
very very nice

250r'en +TCB
06-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Holy crap that thing is MINT!!!! Nice work!!

brrcuda
06-27-2006, 07:06 AM
thanks

It won't be perfect but as near perfect as I can get it with the money allocated. The seat is in excellent condition and the tank has been hand buffed with Novas plastic cleaner. Other than that all plastics are new. Axle and rear end is next to get to a roller.

Just opened the engine up last night and it all looks to be good. Looks like I will only need a gasket kit and hopefully just a set of rings. more pics to come.

edog
06-27-2006, 08:02 AM
That is very nice.My friend just got done restoring his 1986 250R.Here is a pic.

I hope to get the end of July off so we all can go riding.I will let you know within the next week.

brrcuda
08-31-2006, 01:13 AM
I figured Id update this post since i am traveling this week and bored in the hotel room.

Well - its been a long road to this point. With the tecate project and tri-zs breaking down lately. the 3 wheeler hobby is taking a toll on the wallet. I had a lot of issues with the swinger bolt and rear bearing carrier on this 250r- thats what you get from an original bike that has never been taken apart.

Cost me 75 dollars and two weeks to get the local honda shop to press out the bearing carrier - they did not want to do the work cause it was over 15 years old. I swear they do not know what they are doing - they acted like they never took a solid axle apart before. Complained everytime i talked to them to cover themselves from any problems.They actually told me i needed to buy a new axle- whatever. I hate it when people that are supposed experts in the their trade want nothing but new models to work on.

After a new swinger and paint , new bearing carrier, bearings and lock nut assembly, I have a rear end again.

So it is about 90% done, with only minor things to finish like the rear brakes put on and axle aligned to install chain.

The motor i did not paint to keep the some of the original state of the bike, plus the honda paint is more durable anyways.

Aussieduner
08-31-2006, 02:46 AM
Excellent job brrcuda looks fantastic i love seeing the 250rs brought back to life there seem to be more people getting into this even here in Australia...well done mate !

Cheers
Aussie

250r'en +TCB
08-31-2006, 06:17 AM
Damn Paul that looks fantastic! I know dumping the $$$ can be tough, believe me....... Now it looks like I should buy a new axle because this is the second time mine has been straightended so it's proubly lost a decent amount of it's strength...... Another $200 hahaha

At least your 250R is gonna stay shiny for the rest of it's life!

Yamaha Tri-Moto
08-31-2006, 01:14 PM
Wow. That looks awesome, how about some glamour shots for my desktop lol.

breastman569
08-31-2006, 02:05 PM
what kind of paint did you use for the singarm?