PDA

View Full Version : Sand and dunes help, and spark arrestor help at SL

Kintore
06-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Hey guys,

My dad wants to go to SL for a pre run while were in MI picking up my SX.

IF I cant get outwear filters by then, can I use pantyhose? and duct tape it around my airbox?

will that work?

Spark arrestor, will a screen of metal do the trick? and hose it clamp it on sort of?

Thanks!

Louis Mielke
06-27-2006, 06:37 AM
Panty hose is a cheap way outwears but honsetly I'm not sure if its good enough for sand. Great for mud and reagular riding but not sure on mud.

Unfortunatly screen hose clamped on probably won't appease the local authority. Gonna hafta find someon kinda end cap.

And your right them things are real dangerous thats why you need that spark arrestor...wouldn't wanna burn the sand dunes down or nothing...

OldSchoolin86
06-27-2006, 07:24 AM
Hey guys,

My dad wants to go to SL for a pre run while were in MI picking up my SX.

IF I cant get outwear filters by then, can I use pantyhose? and duct tape it around my airbox?

will that work?

Spark arrestor, will a screen of metal do the trick? and hose it clamp it on sort of?

Thanks!
You don't need a prefilter for sand. Actually a pre filter won't do much at all in sand. Just make sure you have your filter cleaned and oiled. As far as screen goes for a spark arrestor that might actually work, that's all my mine is. If you get real hard up just put the stock silencer back on and call it a day. For all the drag machines that go in there without silencers at all I'm wondering if they even check.

Here's my spark arrestor:
http://anvil-group.com/ads/products/03/pc_l.jpg

Bryan Raffa
06-27-2006, 09:13 AM
cobra makes a sparky for around $75 for the dg type 2 witch i think are the same cans as ours!!!! parts unlimited #spk-9151

90nut
06-27-2006, 05:44 PM
I will tell you from experience, do not, and i repeat, DO NOT try and make a spark arrestor. They will catch you. And if you have to buy a spark arrestor at the dunes, or anything for that matter it will cost you about 25 bucks more.

OldSchoolin86
06-27-2006, 05:57 PM
I will tell you from experience, do not, and i repeat, DO NOT try and make a spark arrestor. They will catch you. And if you have to buy a spark arrestor at the dunes, or anything for that matter it will cost you about 25 bucks more.
I'll let you know how it goes because I'm making one for my buddy, lol.

Adam Miller
06-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Kintore Talk to Jason Im sure he would let you use one of the ones he has.

Kintore
06-28-2006, 09:55 AM
Hey adam, im calling Jason up soon anyways to set a time to pick up the SX, ill talk to him, Thanks for the idea!

And frank, good luck! lol

gasoline and whiskey
06-28-2006, 10:46 AM
I too have been busted for the "home made" spark arrestor deal,
in some of the areas where I ride they check to see that the pipe is stamped
"US FOREST SERVICE APPROVED SPARK ARRESTOR" on the body or endcap,
reguardless of what you have inside it.

90nut
06-28-2006, 04:48 PM
OS, they check the end caps to see if it says USFS approved spark arrestor. I made one too for my yz426f and got busted the first trip out. It sucks.

OldSchoolin86
06-28-2006, 06:35 PM
OS, they check the end caps to see if it says USFS approved spark arrestor. I made one too for my yz426f and got busted the first trip out. It sucks.
USFS approved is easy enough to stamp on it, lol.

dovesprings250R
06-29-2006, 02:39 PM
I have never been to dunes other than Dumont, Glamis, and pismo. I have never been checked for spark arrestor at those spots. I always bring a stock silencer to throw on just in case.

Hornetpowerspor
06-30-2006, 08:02 AM
At silver lake, they have a DNR officer at the entrance of the dunes that check every machine that passes through. The top of your flag has to extend to 10 feet, and they check for spark arresters and ORV stickers. I tried to sneak in last year with my T-3, but ended up buying a spark arrester at the dunes. The only thing that they dont really enforce is the decible reading. All of my machines are loud, and I have never been tested or had any problems. Good luck and have fun!