PDA

View Full Version : Did I get a good deal?

3wheelingLoco
06-23-2006, 02:04 PM
I found a 200x yesterday and offered the guy $400 for it and he took it. It runs kinda rough and I can't kick start it for crap (he could on the first kick) so I have had to push start it just to check things out. The chain is a little loose, and it has no air cleaner. The fenders on the rear are trashed and the front has a chunk missing. My only concern is that it has a section on the frame with some booger welds so not sure what happened as to why they would weld that area. Other than that it seems to run strong, I am taking it to the local shop on Tuesday for an overall inspection and a tune-up and then go from there. What do you think?

3wheelingLoco
06-23-2006, 04:56 PM
After reading some post and other stuff I feel like maybe I paid a little too much, what do you think? Oh well deal is done and he has his cash, I guess this is one of those live and learn things.

wheelie king
06-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Trashed fenders, running with no air cleaner (ouch) and a "patched" frame..... I probably would have passed on that. Oh well, see what you come up with after a service. You do need to be careful, cause some shops treat a customer with a 3 wheeler too well. Almost like they do not take you seriously. That's why most of us work on our own.

Good luck

3wheelingLoco
06-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Should I even bother restoring it or just part it out? I am trying to get another frame from a salvage yeard here in town, and there are a few on e-bay, but not sure if its worth the hassel. The shop is going to charge me $60 just to look it over and then go from there, not really sounding like I got the best deal. I didnt notice the frame untill I got home and the deal was done. I was so happy that I found one that actually ran and someone that didnt want an arm and a leg for it. I guess if I find a frame for cheap I will continue the resto project, if not I may just hold on to it and let it build more value and part it out later.
Paul

cragster
06-23-2006, 05:19 PM
i would have bought it...

3wheelingLoco
06-23-2006, 05:28 PM
i would have bought it...
That makes me feel better. The frame issue has me wondering why they did it. The handle bars are straight, the head light is fine the rest of the frame has no rust, so I am confused why they welded that area? I may grind it down and see what the problem is. I figured a running trike was at least a good sign.

Yamaha Tri-Moto
06-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Ya, I think thats a good deal. Iv paid alot more for less before.

dickieg89
06-23-2006, 05:58 PM
I'd have bought it also, frames are usually easy to find for a decent price, as long as the engine runs strong, thats a good base

blue27
06-23-2006, 06:36 PM
If it is cracked up by the front motor mounts that is a common area that they break and I would not worry about it. Grind it dowm and reweld it correctly, Then find a piece of pipe with the inside diamater the same as the outside of the frame, slice the pipe into two pieces and wrap around the frame and weld that on. It won't break again. I have done this in the past when we raced 200x,s and some we cut out the whole down tube and welded in a piece of chromoly tube.

russell56443
06-25-2006, 11:40 AM
I would have bought it too!!
I offered $500.00 for one that looked like Dr Frankinstin had worked on it because it ran/road good lol!