PDA

View Full Version : Applying for a title for a trike or other motor vehicle

dz
06-20-2006, 04:43 PM
I have an older bike that I am trying to get a title for. It has never been registered. It is street legal. I live in Pennsylvania and they will not issue me a title, the only way I can get one is if I do home made but I need a detailed list of all of the parts used and how much they were and receipts. Obviously I do not have all that. I heard Alabama can get me a title but I can never get through either I get put on hold or nobody answers. Anybody have any suggestions. I'm dyin over here.

Unclediezel
06-20-2006, 07:07 PM
If you have the original certificate of origin , call DCNR-----
My 82 yt125 was bought new and never registered......I pulled it out of storage about a year ago---and I had a title in 2 weeks.all I needed was a Vin Tracing.

jason85atc250r
06-20-2006, 09:02 PM
my buddy did the same thing for a jeep he bought. it was from one of the new england states. they gave him all the paper work from that state to switch it to a PA title. like he moved here.

they mostly do it for people restoring olc cars.

dz
06-20-2006, 10:18 PM
The problem is that I do not have the certificate of origin. I have nothing but this bike. All of the places around me (auto tag) say that PA will not touch/handle this situation.

firehart
06-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Have you tried the local dealer to see if can help you? Maybe they have a website or snail mail address where you can trace it through the VIN.

dz
06-21-2006, 05:09 PM
I tried looking up the VIN. It has no records, the only thing it tells me is the correct year and make of the bike and thats it.

Unclediezel
06-21-2006, 07:32 PM
As long as you obtained it legally---(Or youre willing to give it up if you didnt)--
Have the DCNR run a title search, If it comes back clean, make up some Lame story about a fire or flood , and papers being lost or damaged beyond usefulness.
If they cant prove you dont own it, You wont have to prove you do---

grundlegrabber
06-21-2006, 08:14 PM
You will have no success trying to go thru the PA dmv. In the past I have used Broadway Title (www.broadwaytitle.com). I obtained a legal PA title for an '85 Honda XL600. It should work just as well for you, as long as the bike meets the age requirements. Just go on their website and follow the instructions. If that don't work, try its-titles.com.

Solid Snake
06-21-2006, 09:53 PM
With the bike I'm not so sure but with a trike it is definately possible in PA. Just this month actually my brother and myself registered a 200m and a 200x, both had no titles. Upon calling DCNR they told me to fill out their application for each one and send in the fees for titles and registration along with a bill of sale. Since the trikes were obtained through a private transaction years ago they said to fill in unknown for the seller/seller's address/seller's phone number and fill in the correct buyer information which was us, and lastly we had to get each bill of sale notorized. The major problem was that the VIN on the 200m wasn't legible anymore so we had to take the 200m to the local police station and have them verify that it wasn't legible on one of their letterheads. The officer that assisted us was very kind and looked it over, jotted some notes down about it, and told us he'd send us a letter that he looked over it and he did. Once all this was taken care of we sent all that into DCNR and they issued a new VIN number with a special VIN plate for the 200m and titles/registration plates with stickers for both trikes. Yes it sounds like a lot to do and this post is getting long but when there aren't many places to ride and you want to ride at public places you gotta do what you gotta do. Hope this helps somehow.