PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Big Red Starter Question

GeniusBlock
06-20-2006, 12:04 PM
I have my big red opened up. I have the stator out, but not the rotor (or do I have that backwards). Anyway, the starter gear behind the rotor, spins freely. I got my Clymer's manual and it is not much help. I don't see where or how this gear engages the main engine. The Clymer's exploded view just shows this thing riding on a set of needle bearings.

Also in the Clymer's, it mentions in the starter trouble shooting manual that if the starter spins but does not turn the engine (my problem), the problem is the starter clutch...and then it helpfully adds to fix the starter clutch. Nowhere else in this manual does it talk about the starter clutch. So where the heck is it?

longbedGTs
09-25-2006, 01:41 PM
...having the very same problem with my 200m.

longbedGTs
09-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Ok, It took me a while, but I figured out how this assembly works.
WHen you remove the starter clutch assembly, there is the big ring gear. Under that is a cluster with 3 little cylinders that are each in a housing. Remove those 3 cylinders and you will see an even smaller cylinder which has a spring built in to one end of it. The spring pushes againts the bigger cylinder which forces it into the contact area on the starter ring gear.
On mine, the springs were pretty much compressed, resulting in no force on the bigger cylinders. I just removed the springs, and 'streched' them out a little.
I was finally able to turn the motor over with the ES, but since I could only remove two of the smaller cylinders, the FW will stop every now and then.

BTW, the starter clutch is held onto the FW with 3 hex head screws.