PDA

View Full Version : For the first time since 1986 or '87 ...

Jeb
06-19-2006, 02:55 PM
... I rode my ATC 70 Saturday! :beer :Bounce

I picked up one of those 70cc korean or chinese dirt bikes from a friend of mine. Not even sure the year model, but it's no more than a couple years old. The motor bolted right into the ATC. If I was Honda, I'd be pissed at how well they copied, or should i say ripped off, that motor design!

I used the carb, filter, and electronics that came with the new (to me) motor. The factory 70 exhaust bolted right up, as did the atc70's original footpegs, shift lever, and counter shaft sprocket.

I made a custom bracket out of some aluminum I had to allow the coil to be bolted on to the frame as it is a little different than the stocker.

The only big problem of course is it's a kick start motor. I couldn't use my atc70's original flywheel/sprocket covers because the oem honda cover wouldn't clear part of the ignition under the flywheel. So no rope starter yet. I tried the kicker without rear fenders but the kick lever hits the rear tire. so I have to push start it for now. Might buy another honda 70 cover and machine it out to clear the korean motors ignition parts. Then, if the flywheel will switch out between the motors, hello pull starter. Or I could probably mount the cage for the pull starter onto the new flywheel pretty easily.

My 85R was gracious enough to lend it's little brother it's handlebars! :wondering :lol: That let me use the twist throttle from the bike because the carb on the new motor is bigger than the oem 70 carb. I didn't want to take the original grips off the atc70's original bars. Plus the oem honda brake lever is broken. The 250R bars, which are old Answer Alumilites, let me install a left-over 84 Tecate clutch lever and perch for the rear brake. Plus the R's bars have a blue grip that matches the blue grip on the twist throttle. Even looks kind of the same. I also was able to use the little korean bikes kill switch. For those that are wondering, I only had the little korean bikes frame, motor, exhaust and electronics this weekend. I won't have the rest of the little motorcycle until tomorrow, so that's why I didn't use it's handlebars. :naughty:

On a side note I can't run the front fender yet because the fancy long nuts on the front of the head will hit the fender and I didn't want to melt it up any worse than it is. I can't use my oem gas tank because it has pin holes in the bottom of it -so- with another custom aluminum bracket whipped out by your's truly in my custom fab shop :lol: (hacksaw and drill in my work shop/storage building) :naughty: and some red zip ties, I rigged up the little bike's black tank to work on the atc70. So, needless to say it looks pretty ridiculous right now with the extra wide bars, goofy gas tank, and no front fender. That didn't stop me saturday aftenoon from riding it around in my front yard like a mad fool for an hour or so in full view of the neighbors! :confused: But hey that shows it runs good to haul me around since I weigh at least 100 pounds more than the last time I rode it. The tank might look much better once I get the little shrouds that go on it tomorrow. Although it's a ways away from the seat. Since the steering stops broke off many moons ago, with this tank you can turn the forks clear to the frame. I guess I'll call this my "short track" tank. :lol:

AND, I was looking over the little motorcycle frame... could there be a suspension 70 in my future?????????? :twisted:

I'll try to post some pics this evening or tomorrow.

BigGreenMachine
06-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Great read! Sounds like you had a heck of a fun time, glad the lil trike is still kickin.

trikes4life
06-19-2006, 06:25 PM
LEts see some pics

tecatecrazy
06-19-2006, 08:42 PM
fun little suckers arent they Jeb. Havn't heard of anyone that saved a trike that they already owned :w00t: . now that the 70 is running its about time to start putting together a first gen t3 project aint it? ;) something in a custom flattracker would be nice to see....what cha think?

Joe

Jeb
06-20-2006, 09:35 AM
I'll try to get some pics up this evening.

The 70 is fun! :Bounce And an '85 KXT flat-tracker would be a great project. :beer Although I'm kind of partial to the look of the '85 set up for MX. :beer

BigGreenMachine
06-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Everyone needs a 85 KXT! Their a real primal experience to ride. I'd lower mine but I trail ride too much to have it setup that way all the time.

Jeb, your little 70 sounds like its pretty trick. Do you plan on installing the rear suspension from the dirtbike onto the ATC? Or are you going to make the bike frame into a trike?

Jeb
06-20-2006, 01:32 PM
It would be turn the bike frame into a trike.

I could never make a permanent modification to the little 70. been in my life too long. no cuts or welding on any of it. someday I hope for a complete restore with the factory engine running again. :beer

Jeb
09-13-2006, 10:02 PM
I'll try to get some pics up this evening...

Well, 3 months later anyway.

Looks rough, but runs good. It looks better in real life than in these pics. Someday I'll get the stock stuff back on it where it looks original. Been wrecked once by my daughter. When your kids are on ATV's it's awesome, but a bit nerve rackin' when they wipe out.

Anyway, to recap, it's got a 70cc motor from one of those korean mini-bikes. I also used the tank because my OEM tank has pin holes in the bottom of it. I used the bars from the bike for the twist throttle, a clutch lever set-up left over from my 84 KXT to work the brake.

Eventually I want to build the little mini-bike frame into a suspension frame for the 70.

SYKO
09-13-2006, 10:10 PM
must be one of those lifan motors, it looks like that company can bring alot back to the old atc's great job!

Jeb
09-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks! Probably is a Lifan engine. Not sure where the little bike originated.

super90
09-13-2006, 10:34 PM
It looks like its a Zongshen engine, I used to have a pitbike to play around on and it looked exactly like that.

xljimmy
09-13-2006, 10:39 PM
I had an idea for suspending my atc 110 that might work for you better with the 70cc. I though of using a honda minitrail 70 (ct70) frame and redoing the swingarm to accept an axle. I dont know if the steering stem is same or not but I do know the late 185 and 200s front forks interchange with the 110. So I was hoping 110 and minitrail 70's where the same and then you could put the 200s front on the minitrail 70. Making mount for the fenders and tank shouldnt be to hard I dont think. That was just an idea I had and never tried it yet. I also though of hacking the back of the atc110 frame off and redesigning the whole rear but I have a couple extra frames incase I mess it up.:D

Bryan Raffa
09-13-2006, 11:52 PM
hey jeb what kind of pipe is that on your Z?

gravelord
09-14-2006, 04:53 PM
the front fender, i seen some guy cut it to make it stubby so it wouldnt melt, and then rounded it off a bit looked alittle goofy but works, its all you can do. as for the kicker hitting the rear tires, the kicker SHOULD turn over the engine enough to get it running with a half kick. besides, get rid of those stock tires and go with smaller ones who runs stock size tires? lol... well, you dont even need to do that though, it should kick over - really. also, you can cut a section of your plastics away for the kicker to go back without taking off the fenders.

Jeb
09-14-2006, 08:05 PM
hey jeb what kind of pipe is that on your Z?

Bill's Pipe, CT silencer.

Jeb
09-14-2006, 08:09 PM
the front fender, i seen some guy cut it to make it stubby so it wouldnt melt, and then rounded it off a bit looked alittle goofy but works, its all you can do. as for the kicker hitting the rear tires, the kicker SHOULD turn over the engine enough to get it running with a half kick. besides, get rid of those stock tires and go with smaller ones who runs stock size tires? lol... well, you dont even need to do that though, it should kick over - really. also, you can cut a section of your plastics away for the kicker to go back without taking off the fenders.

Yeah, half a kick would be plenty. It starts so easy pushing it.
I'd never get a knife or other cutting tool anywhere near that plastic. It ain't perfect, but I've had it too many years now. I might cut up some maiers. Wheel spacers would fix the kicker issue too. I wouldn't mind smaller rear tires either. :beer