PDA

View Full Version : Dependability?!?!

coolair250r
06-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Okay...I am rebuildind an old 81 atc250r its mostly complete to ride but now i just need a .030 over piston kit. I am just 18 without a job currently and i'm saving some money for this. what I need to know is with the correct maintence...how Dependable are these old 2 stroke motors. My friends say it'll break before winter. This coming from a kid whose dad has no problem buying him his wheelers. An older buddy of mine who races stock cars at our local track say i'll want to sell the thing as soon as i get it running BECAUSE it will be too insanly fast. who should i believe here and what do i tell the kids who think the thing is a ROACH? I guess i need some back here. Lemme know!

ATCR250R
06-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Mix the gas right and rebuild it right and you should have no problems.

Air-cooled-R
06-14-2006, 04:14 PM
i dont think you should believe either. They will tear up, but i rebuilt a motor like that for my buddy about 2 years ago and it still runs like a hoss. They are pretty fast, but not so fast you'd want to sell. It depends on your skill level, If you're not used to a bike like that, it will be fast and you might get hurt on it (i know this from experience). The motor should be fine, but you have to know its limits and make sure that it's running properly, if its not then it will tear up before winter. thats just my opinion.

erectordale
06-14-2006, 04:16 PM
I have a 81 r that just finally is getting it's first piston redone and its 25 yrs old. I never have trouble with mine it was my stupidity that caused the piston too go. keep the oil in the tranny changed yrly and make sure you use fresh gas. not stuff thats been setting for months and you will be suprised it will run and run for a long time. also use a good 2 cycle oil like blue marble or klotz amsoil makes a good 1 as well.

Wickedfinger
06-14-2006, 04:23 PM
I'll try and ease some fears from the back to the front. First off, you don't tell the kids who make fun of your 25 year old machine anything ....... you show them. The guy at the track is just purpetuating the old "I rode it once and sold it because it was so fast it scared me" myth. You get it rebuilt then make your own conclusion. I think you will find the old A/C 250R motor to be realatively tame and rideable. It only puts out about 20hp in stock form, which puts it in between more contemporary non-race type sport ATV's like a 300EX or Warrior, etc in output. As far as dependability goes "An air-cooled 2-stroke is a thing of beauty" - I would say that as long as you do regular maintenence on it, it won't let you down. Proper carb set up is key after you get it rebuilt. Hopefully you are dropping a Wiseco .30 in it. I know you don't have alot of money, but I would try and take the jug to have the ports re-timed to match the new bore and piston. You would be happy with the results. I rebuilt an '82 250R and it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I loved that little R and it treated me right.

ATCWRENCH
06-14-2006, 04:55 PM
a few things that I really really liked about my 81R that I rebuilt is 1, it has an extremely short wheelbase. it will under turn about everything from a yamaha blaster to the biggest quad they make. where everyone has to stop and make a 3 point turn you wont have to. with a short wheelbase the trail manners are amazing. 2, the motor is an amazing grunt machine, a lot of torque for an aircooled two stroke. the maintenence is almost as easy as changing your underwear. 3, put progressive springs front and rear and the suspension will be a lot better for the trails. stock suspension is rather weak. 4, power delivery is really smooth if the motor isnt tweaked on to much. if you run stock gearing with 20inch tires the motor will feel a lot torqier than it really is.