PDA

View Full Version : finished the new drag wheeler

hrc85250r
06-08-2006, 10:41 PM
hey guys, i finally got her somewhat dialed in and whatnot so....here's some pics!

dreadhed
06-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Looks like fun!!!

El'Capitan
06-08-2006, 11:04 PM
nice trike. maybe a stupid question, but why do they make the drag quads/trikes so narrow?

85ytz250n
06-08-2006, 11:04 PM
That is a nice looking trike man, looks like lots of hard work went into it. That is one sick looking clutch cover, custom made or did you order it from some where? Is the axle stock or narrower than stock? Have you ran it yet? Anyway enough of the twenty question game, again nice trike.

Barry

Yamaha Tri-Moto
06-08-2006, 11:13 PM
All I have to say is, Sweeeeet. Nice job man.

hrc85250r
06-08-2006, 11:53 PM
well, they make them so narrow, because with a wide axel, one tire or the other could get more traction and change your direction, and a slight change in direction can screw you up big time half way down the track, having both tires closer together simulates one single tire as much as possible nearly eliminating possibility for the bike to walk over to one side of the track or the other.

the clutch cover is made by directdrive to work in conjunction with their lockup mechanism that eliminates clutch slippage under high torque with drag motors, if you look close my kickstart shaft is also extended 2" to clear the cover and you can see the lockup inside the clutch cover...

yes i have ran it, i just got the jetting done today...it CRANKS! this is my first drag specific motor and it is supposed to put out around 60hp or so at the rear wheels..

the motor has the cr250 cylinder on it and it has methanol drag porting from FTZ, im also running their drag pipe, 41.5 booster jet carb and override tranny. im running a PVL, but i hope to get a cr250 setup this summer. i used an ESR fuel pump for the methanol and ESR powervalve blockoffs in the cylinder. it has the long rod crank in it with a prox piston on the cr250 stock bore and the cylinder is nikasil. i had to custom fab the intake manifold because the carb is so big it hit the fame and the motor in stock position or with the CR boot, and i got one of those ESR reed cages that are sup[posed to be WAY better than vforce.

well, im leaving to go to lawton PA tomorrow, so ill let you guys know how she did this weekend on monday, there is no wireless in lawton,lol....

heel gaurds are temporary! and the plastics are going to get welded up where they are cracked and completely buffed this month sometime.

Rex Karz
06-09-2006, 04:42 PM
well, they make them so narrow, because with a wide axel, one tire or the other could get more traction and change your direction, and a slight change in direction can screw you up big time half way down the track, having both tires closer together simulates one single tire as much as possible nearly eliminating possibility for the bike to walk over to one side of the track or the other.

You learn something new every day!

the great gazoo
06-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Oh shite, that clutch cover really gave me an eye-gasm, I'd like to see it idling,.........60 HP you say? Good God!

hrc85250r
06-12-2006, 08:47 PM
if any of you guys are afraad of running a machine on alcohol, dont be. its easy as hell to tune and it runs really cold, make sure you run it on gas after the weekend and run a vaccuum fuel pump and a carb setup for it. if the power lays down just give it more fuel and if it sounds rich lean it out until it runs good and doesnt load up quick. thats pretty much it, you dont read plugs that much for alcohol. only run it for drags though.

ChrisD
06-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Pretty sweet. I would love a drag racer. I gave up on alcohol. I have a FTZ 38 TMX bored over to 39 with fuel pump if anyone is interested. I didn't think I got that much out of it for all the trouble. Then again, I don't drag race my bikes now. It would work well for the guys with the CR500 drag bikes.

Dammit!
06-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Anybody make a clutch cover like that for a stock clutch? That's pretty trick looking.

traxxasx
06-12-2006, 11:29 PM
You should weld up a chrome suport bar for the exhaust. Or is it not that heavy? Thing looks wicked tho, i love the clutch cover a first for me.

Tri-ZNate
06-12-2006, 11:33 PM
You should weld up a chrome suport bar for the exhaust. Or is it not that heavy?

most likely he made a bracket that goes to the foot pegs.

I cant wait to see that at the drags this year. Did you take it last weekend?

hrc85250r
06-13-2006, 12:01 PM
yeah, i was there...the best i got was a 5.26, but i was trying to dial it in over the weekend and get used to the tranny, my gearing is still way off..i have 13-38 on it now and i need somewhere around 14-35 so all i need is 4th in 300ft for my 2-4 override. and my pipe bracket is 1/8" plate that i cut and welded up and it bolts to the peg. it doesnt weigh much at all...