PDA

View Full Version : Dies after warmth

85hondaatc125m
06-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Whenever I have my 125m running for about 3-5 minutes, moving or just idling, it starts to die on me, if I give it throttle it dies(even 1/8 throttle), if I just leave it, it will idle down to a slow death. Now I know most of you would say, CLEAN YOUR CARB, done that, and I have a perfect spark plug, what could be wrong, would it be the head connected to the spark plug? Or the spark plug wire? Or the thing that the spark plug wires connect to? ANybody?
Thanks

Yamahauler
06-07-2006, 12:32 AM
I bet its your fuel tank petcock full of rust...just take it off, blow it out. bing bang bong

El'Capitan
06-07-2006, 12:34 AM
yup, bout to say the same thing. happend to me, i was so confused for a while. but that should fix it

Yamahauler
06-07-2006, 12:37 AM
If you have a fuel filter, it might also be a good time to replace that as well.

85hondaatc125m
06-07-2006, 10:12 AM
If you have a fuel filter, it might also be a good time to replace that as well.
when I cleaned the carb i cleaned the fuel filter and held up the air hose to the petcock.

Yamahauler
06-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Is there a fuel bowl drain? After it dies out after running for a few minutes, loosen the drain screw and see if theres gas in the bowl. Make sure you do it right after it runs out, because gas will still slowly fill up the carb, but not fast enough to feed the bike.

If theres no gas in the bowl, check all your fuel lines, take the petcock right off, clean it thouroughly, you dont want to just blow all the crap that was in it back into the tank.

This does sound like the carb isnt getting gas.

dirtybiker71
06-07-2006, 08:04 PM
These are bad about the fuel cap vent being plugged, not letting air in the tank. You can ride it a while, then a vaccuum builds up in the fuel tank, which will not let fuel run out into the carb. After it sits a while not running, it will burp air up from the carb vent and then run again for about the same amount of time. The newer style (larger) fuel cap with the knob you turn to close the fuel vent are bad about this. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to fix them other than replace the cap. They were still available from Honda as of a couple of years ago, but were rather expensive. Good news is that they were used on many 3 and 4 wheel models for quite a while so a good used one is easy to find. Try running yours with the gas cap off and see if your problem goes away before you spring for a new one.

threewheelin-feelin
06-07-2006, 10:36 PM
i had a simalar problem happen on my old 200s back in the day....it was my ignition coil.....sometimes they can get little hair line cracks in them and when the coil heats up it expands and seperates.....as soon as it dies pull the plug and see if you are getting fire

85hondaatc125m
06-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Alright, got some questions here, Dirtybiker71, ill try that, I think you might have a 50% chance of being right because I have had those things happen, only some gas in the gas line bubbling gas sometimes, ect, ill try.

Threeweeling-fellin, nice name:) what is the ignition coil? I am not very technical with this stuff, if you can give me a good explenation of what the ignition coil is or maybe a picture of it that would help a HECK of alot.
Thank you SO much

Yamahauler
06-08-2006, 01:35 AM
Ignition coil: Follow the spark plug wire back and there should be a little black box kind of thing. you cant miss it!

But try the gas cap too, thats a good idea.

85hondaatc125m
06-08-2006, 09:57 AM
Thank you guys, ill try both of them in the next couple of days. One more question, does anybody have an estimate of what a ignition coil would set me back?

dirtybiker71
06-08-2006, 08:10 PM
New ones are typically between $50 and $80, but again, these should be very common used. I'm sure many on this board have them they would part with for MUCH less. I might even have one around..... somewhere.... if I could only find it....
Good luck

85hondaatc125m
06-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Bad thing is I dont have an ebay, or paypal, and on top of that I cant even send people moeny through the mail really becuase my money is no good to americans:) Thanks for the price range

Yamahauler
06-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Bad thing is I dont have an ebay, or paypal, and on top of that I cant even send people moeny through the mail really becuase my money is no good to americans:) Thanks for the price range
You can go to the bank and get US money orders, just tell them how much you need in american money, and they do it up. Then send it away

Did you check out the gas tank vent yet?

85hondaatc125m
06-08-2006, 08:47 PM
havent tried yet, weve got about 1 inch of rain or more in the past while, its been pouring for a day or 2 now, so I dont think it would be smart to ride with an open gas tank

85ytz250n
06-08-2006, 11:25 PM
You dont have to ride it just sit there with it running, I would definetly try all of the things listed above, and I would do it in the order of cheapest fix to the ones that are going to cost you. Sounds like fuel not getting to the carb, and I would bet on the tank vent or the fuel filter on the bottom of the petcock, you have cleaned that out havent you? I had a honda that had a rusty tank and I had to clean that out every time I rode, sounds like the very same thing.

Barry

85hondaatc125m
06-08-2006, 11:59 PM
I will try that tank venting thing tommorow, and if that doesnt work ill talk to action honda about the price of a coil, and if that isnt it, im at a loss. The tank is a little rusty but isnt that bad, maybe I will get about 1/8 of the filter filled every 6 months.

team-red-rider
06-09-2006, 12:16 AM
well *Edited**Edited* coil is taken care of it will b in the mail when and if *Edited* need it!!

Yamahauler
06-09-2006, 12:23 AM
I will try that tank venting thing tommorow, and if that doesnt work ill talk to action honda about the price of a coil, and if that isnt it, im at a loss. The tank is a little rusty but isnt that bad, maybe I will get about 1/8 of the filter filled every 6 months.

I wouldnt jump to buy a coil right away, make sure you check the easy stuff first like gas flow. and as soon as your positive all that is good. Look other places:)