PDA

View Full Version : 85 200x engine

RoadTrippin
06-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Hey guys, i'm a long time lurker, first time posting.

Recently got myself into an 85 200x, a bit of a basket case but it has potential.

When i got it the motor had zero compression. I tore into it the other night expecting to see a disaster but to be honest, it doesn't look too bad. I've never torn into a 4 stroke engine before but i've done plenty of 2 strokes.

The cylinder looks fine as do the valves. Are these things you can tell by visual inspection? I don't yet have a service manual for the trike yet so i'm kinda in the dark. When i pulled off the cylinder there was a trail of sludge coming from the head gasket(on the exterior of the cylinder, on the top surface of the top cooling fin) so i'm thinking perhaps it was just a blown head gasket. nothing looks heavily scored or damaged on the top end so i'm hoping that's all it was. Is that common?

I'll post pictures later tonight. If the motor is a complete basket case i might just go with the lifan conversion. Although I would like the OHC motor, oh well.

Any pointers? I'm not familiar with these motors at all.

thanks guys

200x Basket
06-06-2006, 07:09 PM
while you have it apart you should measure the ring gap and replce if needed. it will make the bike alot easier to start.

RoadTrippin
06-06-2006, 11:49 PM
I'll have to check the ring gap when i get a chance. The car decided to put me behind on this project by deep six'ing the tranny on the way home today. Fantastic. :mad:

Is there any visual inspection i can give the valves? Are they ok if they aren't loose? I'm lost with 4 strokes. I'd rather not go out and drop money on purchasing a manual right now because my car is a 3700 pound paperweight until i can fix this transmission issue.

I'm gonna post some pics of the top end. If it looks normal maybe i can just reassmble it with fresh gaskets and hope for the best. I circled the area where i found that sludge on the cylinder where i think the head gasket blew.

firefirefire90
06-07-2006, 12:07 AM
messure the bore size and get a new piston + gasket set. This is probably your problem. Looks like you had a lot of oil coming to the top end. Your bore looks good but *Edited* prolly should get a hone. You could probably get away with just getting a OEM replacement piston and rings...or whatever size piston you have. If your tight on cash that is.

RoadTrippin
06-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Sweet, thanks dude. I planned on at the very least a fresh bore and slight oversize piston, .003 or .005 or however they go.

Car's looking better, might be a TV cable or vacuum modulator or something.

How should i go about inspecting the valves? would they need to be taken out of the head?