PDA

View Full Version : ESR pipe price jumps/ help with new setup

Ndog
06-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Damn, Ive been meaning to get an ATC 5 pipe on the way from ESR and finally was going to order today and all their pipes went up in price. It was 209$ now they want 249$ Not a big deal but 40 bucks is 40 bucks.

Anyway, ive had my trike apart for a while now....help me out on a pipe people. Here is the set up:

-Mo Better complete port and polish by Eric Gorr (base decked, head shaved, exhaust manifold matched, bored 30 over, 66.75mm oversize Wiseco Prolite piston)...he ground the crap out of my cylinder, there are places where like a half inch of metal was taken off. (Very happy with his work)

-38mm air striker with Uni filter and open air box
-Boyesen Reeds
-Unknown old school aftermarket silencer, I repacked it fresh and debated getting a new one but for top end it looks good. It has a large circular diameter and it is long. (Long= top end silencer right?)

What pipe would you guys use? What would the stock pipe do with this setup?

Thanks guys

phil53
06-06-2006, 10:51 PM
last thing you want to do with that set-up is choke it with a stock silencer.
any aftermarket silencer is gonna work. as long as the stinger outlet fits the silencer inlet. i think duncan racing silencers have different size piping. the silencer has less of an effect on performance. the expansion chamber is the big gains.
i bought an esr silencer and chamber at the same time for my 85 project.($239 back in january)
why did you deck the base of the cylinder, or was it the top of the cylinder?

firefirefire90
06-06-2006, 11:03 PM
don't run a silencer..there you have fixed your problem haha

Ndog
06-07-2006, 09:44 AM
I have an aftermarket silencer. The pipe is what I need. I was just wanting to know if anyone had any experience with the ESR ATC 5 pipe.

I dont know why Eric Gorr decks the bottom of the cylinder too. My guess is to change port timing/duration. I think it along with the shaved head is his way of making the low to mid rip and then he raises the exhaust ports and just opens the whole damn cylinder up big time for a nasty top end. There are places where he took off l1/4 inch of metal. All the ports just look huge!

My problem is I am all ready to go but have a stock expansion chamber. I know on some dirtbikes people seem to think the stock pipes are pretty decent. Is the 250r pipe really that bad ? After all the mods is the stock pipe with an aftermarket silencer going to hurt me that bad?

Thanks again

atcsteve
06-07-2006, 06:50 PM
A stock pipe will hurt performance.If you want a real good pipe,go with a paul turner hi-rev pipe.Be careful not to run it lean.You really have to know what your doing when porting.Lots of guys say they can port and can,but not always right.Without running a dyno its very hard to get it "just right".The key is not only power but reliablity!Why not a drag pipe? That will give ya a real nice kick!!!