PDA

View Full Version : 250r engine mods

booboos 86
06-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Hello to all
Please bare with me as this is my first post. I have been reading alot of these threads in the past few months and I have to say this is a damn fine site. Most
all of you have way more knowledge of trikes than I have been able to accumulate, so I would like to pick your brains a little. I have put together a list of
questions below to help me get my 86 running again, but first I should tell you a
little about my trike.
She is an 86 I bought off ebay back in feb of this year. Ran when I bought her
though not all that well. I wanted a project so I tore her down over the next couple of days. I have been blasting and powdercoating up until last week when
all was complete. waiting on parts now to finish rolling chassis. The engine is
apart and I am in the process of parts selection. Plan to purchase asap, can't wait
to bring her back to life.
Aftermarket pieces I have puchased to date include the following:
+6 swingarm
maxxis razr2's on douglas red labels
lsr axle
steel braided brake lines
Everything else is stock and has been refurbished save the engine, I ride on all types of terrain some tracks, trails and dunes also some wide open freeride. I
am looking for a powerband that would be happy enough in the low-mid to
ride the occasional mx style track but really wakes up mid to top for openride
and dunes. Some of the questions below you have heard alot before I would like
to re-ask them(sorry about that). Engine has already been bored and honed +1.25mm a new wiseco prolite piston, vesrah complete gasket set, k&s oil seals
are all waiting to be installed, putting in new bearings throughout also.

Crankshaft- rebuild or replace with hot-rod? if rebuild which rod kit ims vesrah etc...
Cylinder- can it be ported now since it was recently finish bored? if so any favorites under 300 bucks?
Head- would like to run sunoco 110 how much to shave head with stock gasket?
or would it be better to run aftermarket and what cc dome?
Carb- I have narrowed to three 38mm a/s, 39mm pwk or 38mm tmx? and what
jets are you guys running about 0 elevation near lake michigan some humidity.
Reeds- vforce, boyesen or pyramid ?
Filter- k&n with outerware or uni (lid off)
Pipe- esr or paul turner high rev
gearing/ chain- I have no ideas, need parts to hold up well willing to sacrifice weight
ignition- planning on keeping stock but I have read about a guy on here that
reworks the stock one anyone have this done is it worth it?
Clutch- I have to believe somone has already installed the 89 upgrade to the release they dont look like the 86 ones in the manual. I was thinking about ebc
or barnett with kevlar and steel plates any suggestions?

Well thats about it , sorry about my lengthy thread. any and all imput would be greatly appreciated also if anyone has a suggestion on where I can find any of these parts for a good bargain please let me know.

Thank you all,
booboos 86