PDA

View Full Version : Restore or Not thats the question?

Tri-Z 250
06-02-2006, 05:05 PM
I don't know so I'll go to the experts for the call. I have an 86' Tri-Z I've had it since the spring of 87'. I've kept it in great running order over the years. I've put Axis/Progressive shocks, Wiesco piston, Durablue axle, Prm grab bar... the list is too long. I want to get other like minds thoughts on restoration. The last rebuilds have all been for go and not show. I'm thinking of striping her down and doing powder, plastic, the whole shooting match. Will repainting lower the org. value to the collector? I'm never gonna sell this bike ever....but my kids will end up with it in 20yrs. I won't be able to post back until Monday any feedback is welcomed. I ride this bike hard and she's got some age marks but not real bad for an 86'. Tell me what you think?

thedeatons
06-02-2006, 05:20 PM
If you ride it, then don't do it. I am 3/4 of the way done with my 185S resto, and I think if it gets ridden I'm going to shoot myself. Just for clarification, the definition of restoration that I think you mean is to restore to it's original condition, just as it came from the original manufacturer. If we are on the same page, and you are going to ride it, then I say don't. Another thing you could do is have restoration parts waiting for when you finally decide to do it. I say that because there may be more parts available now then when you are ready (years down the road).

jason 32
06-02-2006, 08:38 PM
well its just gonna get worse!!
it seems like every thing lowers the value
its your money!! there all nice when there new
it can be dramatic what alittle paint and stickers can do!!!
if you have the cash i say do it

3peeler
06-02-2006, 08:42 PM
you can make it nice and still use it just dont do a full blown resto

Tri-ZNate
06-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Make a sleeper. Give it some modds so it is balls to the wall but still look like a beater bike. If you run it hard, I would think the stuff you put on to restore it would get all banged up and you'd be right back here in a few years.

edog
06-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Lets see some pics?Then we can decide.

Dammit!
06-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Well, most people know what I'm gonna say probably. Make it fast AND good looking. :D

I just can't help myself though.