PDA

View Full Version : 85 200x clutch question

coolatc
06-01-2006, 09:16 AM
On my 85 200X I am starting to get a slight popping sound coming from the clutch area as soon as I throttle up and let the clutch out in 1st gear. It's only a single pop not a continuous sound. I do not hear the sound in other gears. Does anyone know what this is? Does the clutch need replacing?

I have a manual and plan to do the work myself, but since I never had this motor apart I'm unsure of the difficulty of this task, Should I take it to the dealer for the clutch replacement? What's the difficulty from 1-10?

Any comments?

xman23
06-01-2006, 11:21 AM
i just replaced my clutch in my 200x like a month ago, its actually preety easy, i wouldnt take it to a dealer it will cost a lot and this way you will learn something, just torque everything down to specs, i would reccomend getting stiffer springs, i got them and wow does it make a difference, you will also need a special tool that takes the nut off, and when you put the pressure plate back on make sure the springs or in the little groove becuase i snapped my pressure plate, but i got a atv place in my town and a new one was 5 bucks, but if you have any questions just ask

jason 32
06-02-2006, 04:46 AM
hi the pressure plate berring could be going bad !!
no its not hard but you need a special tool,ineed this 2 lol
any way motion pro sells it for 10.00 at your shop or call denis kirk ,tell them
# 28-1962 its $8.99 plus shipping
#38-1826-new plates $28.99 plus shipping
springs arent that much you might as well do it all at once!!
\
1-800-328-9280