PDA

View Full Version : Big Red vented gas cap not venting

atc4everbob
05-31-2006, 07:31 PM
Hey guys. I just bought a 1985 Big Red. It ran perfect for about an hour or so and then died. I quickly found it was not getting gas to the carb. I changed the filter, hopped back on it only to find it quitting again in a couple of minutes. Petcock is working fine. Took the gas cap off and heard a rush air enter the tank. Checked the vent and it was in the "on" position. Is there a simple fix for these or is the cap junk? For now, it's sitting loose on the tank, allowing enough air inside to keep it running. I need a fix before TF'06. Running a loose cap at Haspin won't work!!! I don't see any way to take it apart. Any replies will be appreciated. Thanks wheelerheads. ATC4everBob

200xman
05-31-2006, 08:44 PM
I just had the same problem on my 125M a week or 2 ago. The gas cap is still available from Honda and was like $32. I know it is the same cap as the BR since I borrowed that one to ride the 125M. The part # is 17620-HC3-771.

CorbinKale
05-31-2006, 09:29 PM
I am sure my friend had a extra in the tool box. She will never need it. I will stop by and pick it up and try it out on my bigred to make sure it is okay and all.
I can bring to Haspin with me on thursday if you want.

This will be a free part by the way ,,, I will post my findings tomorrow night ( with pics - everybody wants pics :) )

john

You are going to be so busy passing out parts, you won't have time to ride! :lol:

Tri-ZNate
05-31-2006, 10:11 PM
well not the recommended way but hey it worked great

http://3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=29750&highlight=gas+cap+fix

atc4everbob
05-31-2006, 10:17 PM
I am sure my friend had a extra in the tool box. She will never need it. I will stop by and pick it up and try it out on my bigred to make sure it is okay and all.
I can bring to Haspin with me on thursday if you want.

This will be a free part by the way ,,, I will post my findings tomorrow night ( with pics - everybody wants pics :) )

john

Hi TF Chef. Good grub last year, dude, THANKS from everyone !!! Yeah, if you don't mind packing the gas cap with you, I will be at TF on Friday morning. I may run into one *Edited**Edited* TF, but I doubt it. Thanks for your help. ATC4everBob

ATCwithdrawals
05-31-2006, 10:19 PM
If you flip your cap upside down, look where the neck part and top base meet{90 degree angle} take a small dril bit 1/16 and drill through the first layer , I have done this to mine before and it worked, try it , its a cheap and quick fix

erectordale
05-31-2006, 11:47 PM
atc forever if swinehart don't have one i will throw a extra in I have a few spares

Bryan Raffa
06-01-2006, 07:29 AM
drilling that 1/16 hole does the job! Ive done 4 or 5 of them, you never have to worrie about it again!!