PDA

View Full Version : New 250SX Observations

Frankencelery
05-30-2006, 09:56 AM
My buddy's new 250SX, which has been sitting in my garage since it was purchased a couple of months ago, now belongs to me. He wants to focus on his 200X, so we made a deal. I thought this was awesome, since he knew the SX was what I've always wanted anyway.

Anyway, we put swingarm bearings in it this weekend (thanks for everyones input on that) and finally got to take it out and ride it, and I wanted to share my thoughts about my newest ride.

My daily riders have been hardtails up until now, mostly my friend's 185s and my daily rider 200s. So getting a rear suspension is pretty cool. That feels awesome compared to getting thrown around on the 200s.

Second, my first thought when sitting on the SX and taking off was, "Wow, it feels like a quad!" There is something definitely quad-like about the feel of this trike. I think it's the way that you sit way higher in comparison to the handlebars. Of course it has the effortless steering of a trike, not the heavy-handed feel of a quad front end.

Third, the gearing is unusual compared to the trikes I've ridden. First gear is (I'm sure there's a technical term for this, but I don't know it) very short. So short that I almost want to start out in 2nd. You're in first gear for about one second before going to 2nd. My 200s is exactly the opposite. After that the gears seem fairly normal.

Naturally, we raced it against the current champion, my 200s. in a straight flat 1/4 mile The 200s pulls out about 15-20 feet ahead of the SX and stays there the whole time, so they're just about perfectly matched. So by 20 feet, the 200s is still the undisputed champion in my garage.

Yesterday we hit the trails. It's been raining a lot, so things were pretty muddy. I've never gotten that muddy riding before. I wish I had brought my camera! The SX handled itself perfectly and got me out of a couple of mudholes, and I got myself out of trouble twice with reverse. It felt like cheating...:twisted: As far as handling, at my admittedly limited skill level I did as well as I do on my buddy's 200x. We switched a couple of times, somewhat against his wishes. Last time we were on these trails, I took his X and ran it into a tree. Fortunately my head took most of the impact. Anyway, no trees or helmets were destroyed this trip, and Dave said that the SX handles almost as well as his 200x. I agreed with him.

The one major disappointment about the SX was my hands falling asleep every 5 minutes. I think it's because of the way you sit up on top of it, and your hands are down on the handlebars with some weight on them. On the 200x you sit down into it and your hands are up higher. I've got some carpal tunnel and this is a problem for me, but I've never had it this bad on a trike before.

All in all, the 250SX performed admirably, but having to stop so often to give my hands a rest was a real drag. I really like it, but the jury's still out on whether it's a keeper.

nouseforaname90
05-30-2006, 10:08 AM
As far as sitting up high goes, you definately sit high on the SX. After I rode my 250R for the first time and then came back and hopped on the SX, I was like "Whoa.. WTF??! I never noticed that before.." because you feel so high that its kind of awkward. But I've never had a problem with my hands falling asleep. I prefer having the bars higher, but the bars on the SX don't bother me.
As far as the suspension, yes it is better than riding a hardtail, but its not much.. lol. The suspension on the SX stinks. Its better than nothing, but I think Honda could have done better..
The gearing.. ooooooh yeah.. the SX has a super low first gear.. the stump pulling gear :). Having the super low first gear allows you to haul a TON on weight without the SX even thinking twice. If you keep the SX and put an aftermarket exhaust on it like a SuperTrapp with all 12 discs, you can make all of the gears a little bit taller and the first gear doesn't seem quite so short/low.

Dammit!
05-30-2006, 10:38 AM
Get a set of taller handlebars. Problem solved.

chris200x
05-30-2006, 11:30 AM
Personally, the SX is my all time favorite atc. All though I havent ridden all the models pound for pound nothing beats it in tight wooded trails and mud. I like to refer to it as the cadillac of trikes. :naughty: Although I do agree a suspension upgrade would of been nice especially for us bigger guys.

jonnyb
05-30-2006, 02:29 PM
I totally agree with you there chris, i love the 250sx, it performs great and the first gear on them is perfect for small trail riding. The suspension isnt the best but if they had to put better suspension on it everyone would think they could do heavy ramping on it, and the consequence of that is- the shaft getting broken or cracked, but they should of atleast put a little bit better suspension on it. I give the 250sx a A+++

danteross77
05-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Well I after agree with most of your assessment however, me and my dad each had a 200s, and a 250sx (I rode the 200s) We bought them new off the showroom floor. The 200s in 1985 and the 250sx in 1986, And riding these bikes brand spanking new, there was no way I could out run my dads 250sx with my 200s. We rode alot of flat logging roads and I could keep up with him for the most part, but he could leave me at will. I remember one time I was maxed out 5th gear in my 200s and he just pulled away.

Tri-ZNate
05-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Yep that first gear is very low, thats why its listed as low, then 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. If you want to drag it, put it in first and hold the shifter up, rev it then drop it so its in second when you start.

jonnyb
05-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Yep that first gear is very low, thats why its listed as low, then 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. If you want to drag it, put it in first and hold the shifter up, rev it then drop it so its in second when you start.

i did that before and i landed right on my ass lol

Frankencelery
05-30-2006, 06:36 PM
I expected the SX to be faster than my 200s, but who knows how many miles are on each engine? Seriously, the difference between the two was one little band where I pulled ahead by about 20 feet. I think it was 2nd gear. Then I couldn't gain another inch. Funny, we had the same exact situation racing my 200s against my friend's 185s, and although I was able to pull ahead a bit, I couldn't outrun him either.

Someone suggested taller handlebars. That's a possibility, but I don't want to have trouble with cables not reaching.... I'll check into it.