PDA

View Full Version : 85 250R electrical problem

200xman
05-29-2006, 09:58 PM
The 250R that I picked up last fall and finally got around to getting running has a strange electrical problem. Bike runs fine but won't shut off with the switch and the headlight doesn't work. I cleaned the ground under the seat, swapped the handlebar switch with a known good one and still the same thing. Is there another spot that is a ground? The bulb is good also. Anybody else have a similar problem and can point me in the right direction?

crackshot
05-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Do you have painted bars?

200xman
05-30-2006, 05:49 AM
It has factory bars. It's a myth that the switch grounds to the bars anyways.

Aussieduner
05-30-2006, 06:55 AM
The 250R that I picked up last fall and finally got around to getting running has a strange electrical problem. Bike runs fine but won't shut off with the switch and the headlight doesn't work. I cleaned the ground under the seat, swapped the handlebar switch with a known good one and still the same thing. Is there another spot that is a ground? The bulb is good also. Anybody else have a similar problem and can point me in the right direction?

I had an 85R last year with the same deal,no kill switch and no headlight and i changed everything including CDI and harness from another of my machines and still no go.I then changed all the original parts back on and changed the stator and it worked,the stator i removed had a broken wire in one of the coils when i inspected it.This may not be your problem but it fixed my very similar issue.

Aussie