PDA

View Full Version : 85' YTM225DRN TRI MOTO-Need starter help

code-blue
05-29-2006, 11:20 AM
I just bought an 85' YTM225DRN Tri moto. The battery was shot so i bought a new one. The new battery is fully charged, when i push the start button, the motor turns over slow, and goes- rupp...rupp...rupp... and wont start. I can start this in one pull if i use the pull start, but i want the starter to work for my wife. One other thing, the decompression lever works, when you move the lever by hand to pull start it, but i read there should be linkage going to it? Please help, thank you.

edog
05-29-2006, 12:59 PM
1 st buy a manual.

Start with the starter.This sound's like it could be the problem.

:welcome: to 3 Wheeler World.:welcome:

Bryan Raffa
05-29-2006, 01:14 PM
possibly bad brushes

freewheel3
05-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Nope, no linkage or cable on the decompression, just a lever.
Check the positive lead on the starter. It is under the starter & has a rubber boot over it. This rubber boot actually does more harm than good due to the fact that it sits upside down & holds any water that gets in there, causing that lead to become a rusty lump.
I have had a few starters acting similar to yours & cleaning up that lead helped alot.

code-blue
05-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Hey guy's thanks for the help! I have a manual on the way I bought off ebay, and I was wondering about that boot on the starter freewheel3. I'll give that a try. Thanks again!