PDA

View Full Version : wont start...progress but loud and smokey

atc110RED
05-27-2006, 11:03 AM
i just replaced my carb on my atc 110, after i accidently messed up the idol screw, and now it wont start. there is a spark however. i am getting desperate now and have spent enough money. can anyone help me?

slothminx
05-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Whats up with the old carb?

If nothing was physicaly broken on the old one. If you want you could send it to me and ill take a look through it. Im sure I could sort out the idle screw for you.

atc110RED
05-27-2006, 03:03 PM
thanks, but i dont think its worth the bother, the idol screw is jammed in with no head on it.
is there anything specific i should do if i have replacd the carb? it was quite hard to start before i did it, so i might just have to perservere. i dont think i've forgottern anything? i'm not very mechanically minded so all of this is a learning curve. btw should the choke be on or off when i start it? and run it? thanks for the help

slothminx
05-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Choke is for use when the engine is cold and it hasnt been run for a day or so. Other then that it shouldnt be needed really.

If you want to fall back on the old carb id happily go through it and replace the knackered screw for you if you just pay the postage to me. The reason for the hard starting was probably caused by a plugged pilot jet, this is the smallest one in the carb.

Where did you get the new carb for it from? It might be that its not set up for your engine or if its not brand new might be clogged up.

atc110RED
05-27-2006, 05:25 PM
thanks for your advice, the new carb is a bit of a frankenstein, i used the tophalf of a brand new pitbike 110cc carb, and the bottom half of my old carb, so i could get the petcock, which was in good condition. they seemed to fit together ok. i just had to replace the starter cord rope aswell, dont think that would have an effect though?

slothminx
05-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Id be skeptical of fitting the two halfs together... Although I dont think it would change too much it might do.

The starter cord wouldnt have effected and as you say you will have spark

atc110RED
05-27-2006, 05:49 PM
should i try another combination? i have another complete carb i could try, its just a little dirty at the moment.

slothminx
05-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Take the carb apart to clean it, just note where everything comes from and take the little brass jets out that are covered by the bowl, clean them though and then blow out the passages.

atc110RED
05-28-2006, 07:59 AM
ok so i sorted out a carb, and i ended up replacing the exhaust, as the old one seemed to be repaired with tin cans. see pic for details. once i did this work, i tried to start it, it started, and stuttered, then i flipped the choke switch, and it let out a load of white smoke and instantly was very loud. Do i just need to adjust the settings on the carb, or could it be the exhaust? i got the new exhasut off a atc 110 i'm breaking. any help is greatly appreciated.

slothminx
05-28-2006, 08:01 AM
Loud? you sure that its sealing properly at the cylinder head.

The carb wont affect the how loud the engine is.

atc110RED
05-28-2006, 08:05 AM
i'll try tightening it now...

atc110RED
05-28-2006, 08:22 AM
i tried tightening it but its not made a difference. what about the white smoke coming from the exhaust? should i try adjusting the screws on the carb? is the mix to rich or something?

Kintore
05-28-2006, 08:30 AM
White smoke, is either water, or blow by past the valve seals for the first few mins. Burning oil is blue.

atc110RED
05-28-2006, 09:27 AM
is the loud noise consistant with this aswell? if i left it to run rather than stopping it when i heard the very loud noise and saw the smoke would it sort its self out?