PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions Honda /Kawasaki

darrel632
05-26-2006, 12:55 PM
1978 Honda 90
1st) a) 1978 Honda 90 makes a strange rattle in 3rd gear either Hi or Lo range has snapped drive chains twice in 3rd gear doesn't have issues in any other gear can't see a wobble in the drive line while its on blocks in any gear. b) quits after 8 to 10 min of riding and you need to wait 5 to 10 min to start it again --assuming this is probably the coil?

1984 Tecate 3
2nd) T-3 isn't "hitting" the power band hard, goes fast enough --60 MPH+ , no shortage of power,just doesn't rip your arms out of the sockets, second rider other than me feels like its choking -- ie air starvation?? just before the power band, but will spin the wheels from 5500 rpm up to 6500+ rpm in gravel 1st through 3rd gears. Everything is stock from the rebuilt carb (stock jets) forwards and backwards including bore/ stroke, tranny, sprockets, (compression is 182) stock air filters, stock reeds, new stock scilencer (sp?) and stock collector, BR8ES plug, 8mm plug wire.

getting a little frustrated with it right now

SWIGIN
05-26-2006, 01:17 PM
on the 90 check out the sub tranny gears iv seen those gears brake alot and it makes a clicking or rattleing sound

darrel632
05-26-2006, 01:22 PM
sub tranny is perfect, 0 issues everything is new the problem isn't

BigGreenMachine
05-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Have you cleaned the air filter on the Tecate?

darrel632
05-26-2006, 04:44 PM
new inner and outer stock from kawasaki air filter less than 1 hour ride time on grass, its so clean you can smell the "new" on it.

BigGreenMachine
05-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Clogged sounds like being rich, have you adjusted the floats in the carb bowl? Sounds liek its loading up.

darrel632
05-26-2006, 05:52 PM
yeah maybe, sometimes it pukes a little fuel out the top discharge line, not always, sometimes dumps a bit if you leave the fuel "on" when its sitting, never more than 1/2 oz or so on either side but still.... Maybe i'll reset again tonight, I keep thinking to much air, to lean; maybe I'm looking at it backwards

BigGreenMachine
05-27-2006, 02:48 AM
What ratio are you mixing your gas at? Where is the needle clip positioned?

Sounds too rich up to 3/4 throttle.

darrel632
05-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Fuel 32:1 nedle second from the top.

ride_red_95
05-29-2006, 11:39 AM
on the tecate clean the airfilter and if it has a air box lid on it take it off and you'll notice some more lowend punch

darrel632
06-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Thank you James, had a pin hole in one float, it was twisting the floats and loading up, so, after a jetting change, a K&N change, needle in the 2nd from top slot, KX 250 head, it is back to launching like a T-3 should,
Now, could someone either PDF the kicker pages of the KXT and post them, or photocopy the pages (I'll provide a fax no. and send them, PLEASE) Its the last minor / mechanical issue left to deal with (The kicker won't return on its own); and I'll have a completely rebuild / stock 1984 Red Tecate, in original form when I put the KXT head back on.
Darrel

Now I have to do the 90 before the 5 year old attacks.

BigGreenMachine
06-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Darrel, when you say KX250 head do you mean the head or the cylinder? If your taking it off (cylinder) I'd love to take it off your hands.

darrel632
06-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Both, as a complete unit, and no you can't. I have an 85 to build this summer as a race unit, I looks like a board member will be takeing the red t-3 as a restored unit for a collection.
as well I have to finish the tt-500 triz combo

BigGreenMachine
06-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Bitchin, a KX cylinder is supposed to net about 5 hp. Get that sucker ported and the head shaved 50 thousand and you'd have one potent motor.

James

jason 32
06-02-2006, 08:18 PM
check the oil lately????
if coil was bad it would'nt work
you 2 big for it??? lol
tranny berings might be going out

darrel632
06-05-2006, 12:45 PM
James, the head has been "cleaned up" at 80 thous. like I told you to do yours, exaust is polished to mirror like quality, intake "lipped" 3/4 of a mil.on top with "v-force KX carbon reeds", upgraded to VP fuel stabilizer on 98 octane and it stil has a "burble" in first just in front of the powerband, not so much in second through 5th now (My shoulders will attest to that today). but an old Kawi mechanic is now laughing at me... Says if I can get the burble out in first mine will be the first machine he's ever seen without it which isn't a full race 84-85, it has something to do with the air/fuel load up at the reeds and a vortex which makes the reeds flutter, he says its there in 2nd through 5th as well just the air being jammed through the pick-up tube makes the issue unnoticable; says the only time you need 1st is to putt to the winners circle or put the machine in the trailer. He used to set up race bikes, with the cylinder, head, port and polish work etc, [$600 CDN a few years ago] he figures I might have 4 extra ponies useful at the back wheels, my fuel burn is definately 10 to 15% higher though, and the trike is less fun to run, it will never wear the front tire out at the rate its going.
You can't trail ride at all cause you can't run slow enough for the trails around here so I'm stuck to sand bars on the river and farmers fields etc.
I need a Big Red, 225DR or an SX, our local track stopped letting me run cause of "insurance issues", so its sitting in the shop except on rare weekends when I escape the wife's "Honey do list" and run on the river bank North of our place, or ice racing

BigGreenMachine
06-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Yeah with all those mods they really get to be "peaky." I trail ride mine all the time second gear tops unless I get to some fire roads. I think if you went to a larger carb, say 36mil flatslide you'd see a great improvement in overall power. Maybe an easier to tune Keihin would be the ticket to rid yourself of that burble.

I've got to raise the needle clip a slot and do some plug checks to see just how bang on my jetting is.

darrel632
06-05-2006, 02:10 PM
so yours is running again?
In second on the trails here I'd be dead within a week, some corners are 5 to 10 mph max on a total of 60 inches of width --if it rains the clay gets so slippery you'd eat willow pungi stakes all day long, or be pickin' pine out of your head, I'd be in first all the time, and over 180 degrees on the rad ---just can't ride like that and have fun, the Fish and Wildlife officers are just wild on 2-stroke machines around here ;they ride your butt like a mexican mule for "smoke".

You know that the T-3 ain't gonna run worth Poo at under 5 grand, could you run serpintine trails, 5 feet wide in wet clay 1st and second gear and not be on the brakes for the whole day? The only open place to ride within 50 miles is sand bars on the river to the North, and if I go up there I take the kids, which means Yami 200's and Honda 185 / 200s and a couple of quads, by the time I get to ride - after they can't start it, or the makeups not perfect, or the helmet doesn't fit or 10,000 other excuses. I've got 2 hours of babysitting + I take the 5 year old with me, so the T-3 sits on the trailer with a bunch of 15 year olds drooling over it trying to buy it for 400 bucks or something so someone has to stay near the truck so it doesn't get stolen, I might as well be riding a TRX 200 around camp, or a golf cart [ can't you just tell I had a GREAT weekend??]

BigGreenMachine
06-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Weak! You definately need a 4-stroke trike. A 350X would suit you way better then that high strung machine you have.

I'd actually like one myself but the Tecate suits me fine for now.

I'm waiting on a Ricky Stator flywheel and stator combo since my OEM unit got eaten. Also got a 0.050 shaved head on the way from Sprock racing since the guy who took 80 thousand off either misunderstood just how much or just plain fooled up cause the piston touched the dome at TDC. So after the shaved head I'm going to do my plug checks and see just how much tuneable HP is to be had.

darrel632
06-05-2006, 03:21 PM
he had to take off more than 120 th. to tap the dome -- you couldn't double head gasket + copperkote to take up the excess??

BigGreenMachine
06-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Very slow trails, but I love to ride the old fire roads. Fifth gear almost WOT drifting turns, lifting the front over hill crests..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/BigGreenMachine/a63ecdcd.jpg

BigGreenMachine
06-05-2006, 03:24 PM
I was thinking of using two gaskets but I don't trust it. Just as well to do it right.

darrel632
06-05-2006, 03:35 PM
looks like 60 to 72 inch trail, pretty narrow if you meet a golf cart at the top of 2nd gear-- looks pretty though