PDA

View Full Version : No neutral light.. no start! 250sx

chris200x
05-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Well I don't even know what this thing is called. I'm guessing a neutral saftey switch. (under the motor by the footpeg) But the two rubber boots are all messed up. I pulled a stick out from there so I'm guessing that's what messed it up.

I tried looking it up on bikebandit but cannot find it. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing though. Here is the schematic for the wire harness.

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/showschematic~dept_id~175341.asp

So I guess what I'm asking is there a way to bypass the neutral light thingy or does someone know where I can get the new double boot at or have one. Any help here would be great.

I was also getting some weird clicking noise from behind the headlight. anyone know what that might be?

Edit: Ok I thought it would of been part of the harness but it is not. it's number #24 on the schematic

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic_view~schem_dept_id~175309~section_de pt_id~1~section_dept_name~OEM+%28Stock%29+Parts~de pt_type_id~2~model_dept_year~1985~model_dept_mfr~H onda~model_dept_id~174379~model_dept_name~ATC250SX .asp

The boot is all cracked and split. but I was just out there and put the key in. nothing... If I wiggle the key a bit or give the dash a good smack it lights up and I can start it. Anyone know where I should start with this?

ClayW
05-25-2006, 12:20 PM
The wires goint to the switch are broken / very loose / coming loose or the connectors on the switch are broken. Check it out real close and see if you can tell. You may be able to rewire it or solder them back on. I dont know how to by pass it. I think you have to take the side cover off to change the switch. Cant remember. Corrosion could be a problem too.

chris200x
05-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Well taking the side cover is out of the question. too much work just to rig something up. I'm gonna go take the dash off and inspect everything to see what I come up with. Funny thing is this happened right after I washed it. I wonder if I got water or something in there and it's messing it up somehow.

Thanks Clay

crd00
05-25-2006, 01:20 PM
the same thing happened to me, the wire came off down on the bottom of the motor by the foot peg and all I had to do was clamp the wire back on with plyers and that was it, I havent had any trouble since

Unclediezel
05-25-2006, 01:43 PM
The clicking behind the headlight is your starter safety relay.......Its there so the bike only starts when the switch is grounded----(Trans in neutral)----
If you have a wiring diagram----Just look at the circuit and figure what to "JUMP" to a ground. What other trike is it similar to----Im not sure---Im more of a yammi guy.

ATCnut
05-26-2006, 11:35 PM
A 250sx will only start if the wire to the neutral switch is grounded (which makes the neutral light go on.

The rubber boot you are talking about just covers the wires. Take the metal cover off (if you still have one) and then pull back the rubber boot. There are two wires, one for the neutral switch, and one for the reverse switch. make sure they are securly connected.

If you want to "jumper" it so It will always start, ground the wire that goes to the neutral switch. You neutral light will always be on.