PDA

View Full Version : help with a KLT...

crashfactoryx
05-25-2006, 05:21 AM
I have a 1981 Kawasaki KLT 200, very good bike no problems with it other than not wanting to start when it's cold out (OLLDDD battery), or that was the case until Tuesday, got on it to ride and started it, let out the clutch to start moving and it start ed shaking and bogging, got it going, but brought it back to the house, sumthing was definitely not right....tried putting it in neutral, no good, won't shift at all, I gently tried to move it through the gears (stuck in 5th), nothing happened..kept at it being extremely gentle (bent the shifter once when I was a bit rough), and then there was no resistance to the shifter at all....i talked to a friend who has a honda and he had the same problem and it was a shift pin...I tried to get into the case and check it out last night, but the screws are nearly completely stripped and I didn't want to damage them anymore...my question is (after all that rambling) how likely is it that it's just a shift pin? And if it's not, and it's a fork or dog, how much is it likely to cost? I understand that to fix the forks, etc.. you have to split the engine, which generally necessitates a rebuild....which I probably can't afford..

thank for all the help in advance!!

Sean

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/crashfactory/klt200.jpg

darrel632
05-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Kawasaki still has parts for them, see if you can get it from there or bikebandit.com

crashfactoryx
05-25-2006, 10:21 AM
BikeBandit is where I priced my parts so far, I'm just wondering how likely it is that the shift pin backed itself out, the shifter still moves up and down perfectly and springs back to where it's sposed to be, but it doesn't feel like it's attached to anything......don't want to rebuild if I can help it, never done it before and I know very little about ATC's......I guess my first step would be to get a service manual anyway and work from there...

Sean

darrel632
05-25-2006, 10:37 AM
they shear shift shafts just in front of the gear setup --its not uncommon, I haven't changed one out in a long time, I think you have to split the cases to get to the broken parts. Howdy might have more info on them. It's at least 10 years since i changed a shaft out, and senility is setting in, I just can't remember.

crashfactoryx
05-25-2006, 05:30 PM
thanks much, I figured that would be the case, now the big question....am I confident enough to do it on my own or should I pay to have it done?....

Sean

darrel632
05-26-2006, 09:56 AM
do it yourself its not that hard to do just time consuming, make sure you have a manual and a camera makes it easier to reassemble

crashfactoryx
05-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Is it pretty hard to mess it up? I don't have the best luck when it comes to reassembly :P, gotta find a manual, and some money......anyone with either is welcome to donate LOL....probably be awhile before I start on it, so I may go ahead and start some of the other things I was gonna do, clean it up, paint it, etc.......

Sean

crashfactoryx
06-03-2006, 11:54 AM
well..still haven't gotten my manual, so I started and finished the painting...here's a pic, old pic should be at the beginning of the post to compare it to..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/crashfactory/SSPX0037.jpg

It's Rustoleum spray paint for Plastic :P Dark green with little bits of metal flake in it, which you would be able to see if it wasn't for my POS phone cam..

Sean

slothminx
06-03-2006, 11:55 AM
You painted the original green plastics! :eek:

crashfactoryx
06-03-2006, 12:30 PM
you mean the original faded white/lime green cracked fenders? Yeah, guilty as charged..

Sean