PDA

View Full Version : NO SPARK, thoughts?

lilatv
05-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Have an atc 70.

Before I removed the head, she sparked just fine, nice blue spark.

Got the spark plug whole fixed, she won't spark, and thats holding it to a clean fin on the head, not the insert.

I removed the power wire(?) that runs form the magneto to the coil. I held it to the lower engine case, sparks flew, not eventful but very noticable.

I even connected my multi meter, probably not the best approach, set on 50m in between the magneto wire and the engine case, it shown energy of some sort. I then touched the mulimeter probe to the spark plug, nothing.

I cleaned the body of the coil, all connections. Even cleaned the point which the coil attaches to the frame.

New spark plug.

Any suggestions on testing the coil? Do I need to clean the magneto, check the points?

Considering these coils run $50, I wanna be sure it faulty.

the great gazoo
05-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Check the coil's primary & secondary(you need a manual w/ specs, if not, somebody'll chime in with them)readings. it's pretty easy to do.

Bryan Raffa
05-24-2006, 05:03 PM
ya sounds like you need to check the coil.

Unclediezel
05-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Does this thing have points???-----They can be VERY picky about how they are set up---They MUST be PERFECTLY GAPPED!!!!!!~

lilatv
05-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Anyone know the resistance off hand?

Yes, it has spark from the magneto, so I'm guessing the points are ok, maybe?

atcsteve
05-24-2006, 09:33 PM
check the points first!!

KASEY
05-24-2006, 09:39 PM
did you hook any wires wrong when you put it back together??? it happens,, check the ground wire ,, clean all wire connections ,, if it sparked before its something you did in the teardown and rebuild procedure ,,, just back track you will find it,,,

Howdy
05-25-2006, 08:15 AM
did you hook any wires wrong when you put it back together??? it happens,, check the ground wire ,, clean all wire connections ,, if it sparked before its something you did in the teardown and rebuild procedure ,,, just back track you will find it,,,

Good sound advice there.
The only thing I can add is: If a wiring diagram would help you, then your in luck. You can find one on the main 3Wheeler World site. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/WiringHome.shtml
Howdy

lilatv
05-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Only thing I had to disconnect, for disassembly, was the spark plug wire from the plug, all other wires were secure.