PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions about my tecate

tecate kid
05-22-2006, 09:09 PM
I went riding this weekend at a friends place that they are building a track. Now I know that my 1984 Tecate is 22yrs old so I don't expect it to really jump well, but how good can I get it? The rear shock is toast and the front forks need a rebuild, what am I looking at for a cost on these?

Next thing I noticed is that I once again have water in my oil and oil in the radiator. Ijust replaced the waterpump seal and all the gaskets, I had to use emery cloth on the shaft but that was only to get the rubber off of it. I just got my service manual in the mail and it says that you need to out the "soft" side to the motor. If I installed it backwards will it still be ok or will I need to buy a new one?

Third how much water in the bottom end will wreck it? The oil was just barely starting to show signs of it having water in it, and the same goes for the rad. I only put maybe 3 hours total on it, and that was me riding it kinda hard and everyone else that has never seen one wanting to ride it. It was not raced very hard at all. I want to know is would this have hurt the bottom end? I thought it sounded more "noisey" when I loaded it, so I am just curious. Could the rings be bad causing some piston slap? Or would I be looking at replacing the whole top end plus having it bored out? When the kid I bought it from did the motor (about 20 tanks ago, also not much hard riding) the shop said it was NikIsil plated, is that factory?

Last thing is what is it worth? I am thinking about selling it to get a quad but I'm not sure. It runs great and is all factory, (rear fenders had the holes trimmed) and the rad. gaurd and light are missing. It also has ITP aluminum rims factroy front and Turf Tamer rears. Any help would be appreciated. I will post some pics in a bit, it has the old fenders on in them.
Tecate Kid