PDA

View Full Version : what should i get for my 300r?

dizasterzrfun69
05-21-2006, 09:25 PM
well its an 84 chassis but im not 100% sure about the engine. I have to order main bearings but after that i should have it all together and running. after I get it running what should i get to make it quicker? I am wanting to drag it at TF06 and i also want to run novice mx's (never raced mx before). What kind of reeds? run a stock carb? what kind of tires? what size tires? it has an answer equalizer tailpipe. i was looking through old threads and found holics mods but i dont know if thats what i should do. I need to get this stuff orderd ASAP so its here in time for TF06. any input would be great!

Kevin

firefirefire90
05-21-2006, 09:48 PM
From my experience from the aircooled R, what i would feel for me being the best thing for racing would get some 18" turf tamers for track, a Reed spacer, Boyseen Reeds, a 1985/6 250R carb jetted for 300 kit, Race number plate, Sectional pipe(they're out there), and if you can, port the cylinder. Never seen a ported 300 kit, but i bet it can be done. That is just what i would do.

dizasterzrfun69
05-21-2006, 09:51 PM
well heres holics post from awhile ago

I rebuilt the motor (84 motor) from top to bottom and its on its first oversize.
Im running a DG pipe and silencer and DG head.STOCK carb., reed spacer and some fancy pancy carbon fiber reeds. Clutch was brand new, as was the forks freshly rebuilt and the shock was freshly rebuilt. I run 18" knobbies on the back with stock spacing, but in this pic I was running some H-Traks with offset rims (not sure of the offset) I set it up this way for Ice oval and yard blasting-not drag racing specifically. the frame and swinger are stock.

Now, those of you who know me know I don't bench race and brag. (mostly cause Im not a good rider! LOL)
This machine surprised the HECK out of me and alot of others at TF04. The track was perfect, the trike ran perfect and I rode perfect that weekend on the strip, anyway. MX was a different story though.

Anyone else that was there in '04 want to back up the claim that a well set up free air can not only compete, but BEAT most anyone that wants to line up.

If there was real organized racing in 04, I bet the ORIGINAL old school R would have been on the podium. Its true that the 5 speed really limits the top end of them but still, she pulled so hard and so fast that I cannot remember many people over taking her at the end of the looooong Haspin drag track.
'05 was a real disappointment though, muddy conditions and some real souped up machines with more motor, more gears, better riders. The point of this story is that at TF04, the free air was representin, and most of the regulars around here belived again. I know I do.

82300R
05-21-2006, 10:36 PM
i would leave it as close to stock as possible for reliabilitys sake. but thats just me,cause i don't really race mine. just ride for fun. leave the racin to the younguns.;)

350x'inNY
05-21-2006, 10:46 PM
well its an 84 chassis but im not 100% sure about the engine. I have to order main bearings but after that i should have it all together and running. after I get it running what should i get to make it quicker? I am wanting to drag it at TF06 and i also want to run novice mx's (never raced mx before). What kind of reeds? run a stock carb? what kind of tires? what size tires? it has an answer equalizer tailpipe. i was looking through old threads and found holics mods but i dont know if thats what i should do. I need to get this stuff orderd ASAP so its here in time for TF06. any input would be great!

Kevin

well, like I said in your ebay post, my 300R motor setup came with a 85R carb on it. I know the original 300R kits came with a different jets for the 83-84R carbs.

PS... hey.... email me... have an ideal for ya! atc350x250r@earthlink.net

dizasterzrfun69
05-21-2006, 10:49 PM
i'm lost when it comes to carbs. i can clean them and i know how to change jets and what not. however i dont know what jets do what or why. the more i read about carbs the more discouraged and confused i get.

kevin

350x'inNY
05-21-2006, 11:18 PM
i'm lost when it comes to carbs. i can clean them and i know how to change jets and what not. however i dont know what jets do what or why. the more i read about carbs the more discouraged and confused i get.

kevin

well... if you would email me, I got an idea for you!!!! Why don't I send you out the carb that's on my 300R motor to get you thorugh Trikefest? Not sure if you can stretch your airbox boot over it or have to run a K&N clamp on.... at least it'd give you a start on jetting.... 200Xman could probably tell you the jet that the 300R kit originally came with as he started with a 300R kit in the box...

Bruce

PS - I also have a oldschool Pro-Tec aluminum intake with a boost bottle port. If you can get a boost bottle setup on it, for me, I'd let you borrow that too. Rumor has it that a Blaster boost bottle is similar. Seems like Raffa has one on his Tri-Z that was designed for a 250R.

Bruce

dizasterzrfun69
05-22-2006, 12:13 AM
is it a stock 85 or 86 r carb? will a stock 85 or 86 r carb work? I believe we have one or the other that is stock with the stock jetting. if it'd work then i could use ours. Or what are the jets you are running in yours? I could run a clamp on K&N too, thats no biggie.

kevin

350x'inNY
05-22-2006, 08:55 PM
is it a stock 85 or 86 r carb? will a stock 85 or 86 r carb work? I believe we have one or the other that is stock with the stock jetting. if it'd work then i could use ours. Or what are the jets you are running in yours? I could run a clamp on K&N too, thats no biggie.

kevin

Not sure.... it's a 85R carb.... the motor came from Arizona.

Bruce