PDA

View Full Version : 350x 101

sandpuppi101
05-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Well as most of you know I am working on a few 350X's all at the same time.I actually started off with 2 85's,as far as foundations.Well after starting the projects I got a '86 and then some '87 parts,then another '85.
As the projects progressed I started to incorporate some of the 86-87 parts onto the '85 projects.Do you all follow so far? Anyways this is where I was educated in a big way.That wont work-this is different-whats up with that-how does that go-WTF !!! Those were only a few of the phrases I used on these projects! I knew that the 350X's had some differences,but after being through this and actually going through the builds,I have come to the conclusion that they are 2 different trikes all together,LOL!!! Having taken the 350X 101 class now,and realizing these machines are totally different now,I was wanting to know exactly how many differnces there actually is?I have heard there was 27 different things between them.I can easily believe that ,no problem!!Has anyone else ever been through this? I am glad I did it,because the finished product turned out great,but it was a bit time consuming,at the same time!!! Does anyone know the number of differences?:wondering

hrc200x
05-21-2006, 10:31 AM
I've been through it a bit with the differences between the motors. Tried using a '86 bottom end with a top end and the crank case breather hit the cam chain tensioner, so had to remove the metal breather tube and put in the '85 one.

I thought Mr atc had a long list of differences typed up awhile ago, not sure if it could be found doing a search or not.

What '87 parts did you find?

What were the ones that caused you the most problems?

sandpuppi101
05-21-2006, 01:42 PM
I found a '87 over the winter that was all parts pretty much,I used the chain cover and a few mics.parts from the '87.As far as the worst headache ,I would say some of the rear components as far as the chasis and brakes.I went with a 400ex rear caliper,a bit beefier ,so I hope it works better than the oem 350X . I just got her started up a little bit ago and had to come in and check some wiring details,off the computer.I will try a search on the differences,I need to know!!!

slothminx
05-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Hold on.... You found an 87 350x? If so you found the holy grail if its the real deal lol.

sandpuppi101
05-24-2006, 10:43 PM
Well this is 350X 101,and I have been doing some hard core investigating on this '87 350X thing.I have been going over my parts that I got from the supposed '87! As a cross reference I checked the main page on '87 ATC info and compared! I can say without a doubt that this ATC was infact an '86 model.My motor mounts were the same and as I can tell from the salvaged wiring harness ,it is the same as my '86 harness.Well S#^@ ,that sucks!! Thanks for the info Bruce,I am completly amazed that 2 machines, that look so close can be so different !!!

Bryan Raffa
01-17-2008, 08:06 PM
bump for the one's who dont know;)

tecat-z
01-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Wow, thats intresting. Sounds like Bruce is the man for 350x info. Very impressive. The 86 seems like is was a polishing year for the big X. A very sweet bike indeed. Just like the liquid R's, many changes for perfection is 86.

Dirtcrasher
01-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Well.... They certainly improved on allot of little stuff. Ride an 85 or 86 350X and I don't think you'll feel a huge change.

But, nowhere near or even close to the changes from the 85 200X to the 86 200X. Those years were an entirely different animal, almost nothing was similar.

I'll bet that if there were an 87 or 88 350X that the whole motor would have changed similar to the 200X design.

tecat-z
01-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Yeah, it's to bad we never got a second gen 350x. Prolly would have seen 39mm forks and rising rate pro-link design rear suspension. Where the R's would have more than likely seen the very common for the time 42mm sliders. My mouth waters every time i think what might have been. I don't think that the oems would have used usd's for many more years though. It wasn't til 90, that all the full size jap mx machines had them. And they always pioneered technology.

hrc200x
01-18-2008, 12:55 AM
I didn't see it in his list, but might have missed it. Front brake calipers different. I wonder why they didn't use the prolink anyway since it started on the 250r in '83 right?

Dirtcrasher, I agree 350x roller bearing cam and a valve adjustment mechanism like the '86/7 200x's would have been sweet, would see alot less 350's with damage cam journals. I'm wanting to say that the '86 200x's engine is somewhat of a copy of the 350x from the cyclinder down, decomp cable, auto adjust cam chain tensioner, 6 speed, ability to remove the kick start shaft without splitting the cases.

A 350x I bought a few years ago had new fenders put on it in the mid to late 90s, they are factory fenders in red and they have the "bump" up in back with the no passenger warning like '86's had. Honda must have used the '86 mould and just squirted a different color in them when they ran off a bunch for inventory.

350x'inNY
01-21-2008, 03:15 PM
I didn't see it in his list, but might have missed it. Front brake calipers different. I wonder why they didn't use the prolink anyway since it started on the 250r in '83 right?

Dirtcrasher, I agree 350x roller bearing cam and a valve adjustment mechanism like the '86/7 200x's would have been sweet, would see alot less 350's with damage cam journals. I'm wanting to say that the '86 200x's engine is somewhat of a copy of the 350x from the cyclinder down, decomp cable, auto adjust cam chain tensioner, 6 speed, ability to remove the kick start shaft without splitting the cases.

A 350x I bought a few years ago had new fenders put on it in the mid to late 90s, they are factory fenders in red and they have the "bump" up in back with the no passenger warning like '86's had. Honda must have used the '86 mould and just squirted a different color in them when they ran off a bunch for inventory.

Hmmmm.... my nice OEM 86 fenders were one of the last ones purchased before they went discontinued back around 2001??? Maybe the original OEM ones didn't have the raised white molded lettering?? Anyone?? I can't believe I missed the front brake calipar, front brack pads (A-B for 86) AND the pattern on the front brake rotor is a swirl in 86 and 6 circles in 85.

edog
01-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Im now the NOS 1985 250R fenders had rear raised warning letters on the rear.