PDA

View Full Version : Look what I got today,Need Help !!!

farmerc
05-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Picked this up today a friends house their neighbor had it the weeds outside beside the garage.The guy I got it from said it was a Yahama125. What I need help is what year this trike is and any other info that i can get. Looks to be a two stroke, ain't ever had one so i don't know. Also it looks to be oil injected. Got for a 100 bucks with two almost new tires. The good,it turns over freely ,no cracks it the plastic,trans shifts smoothly,brakes work,tires all hold air and they turn freely,and it starts with one or two pulls.The Bad, it smokes really bad when running (blueish white smoke) has no power and oil is coming out of the exhust pipe and another plastic hose. What seems to be the problem and how hard is it to fix.

farmerc
05-20-2006, 05:40 PM
More pics of the new ride, Help

farmerc
05-20-2006, 05:44 PM
More pictures for all to see and help

holmstrom
05-20-2006, 08:50 PM
looks like a 1980. I'd unhook th oil injection, use fresh mixed gas with klotz or amsoil at 40 or 50:1 ( i run klotz at 50:1 in mine) clean the carb good and run it for awhile to see if that clears it up. Mine did that when i first got it and thats what i did, too much oil in it. Check your oil in the transmission too, there might be too much in there and causing to much pressure forcing it past the rings.

ATCwithdrawals
05-20-2006, 08:54 PM
You might also want to take out your spark arrestor to see if it is plugged up or restricted too much

farmerc
05-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the info will try doing that on monday as that I have to tommorrow. Was I correct on the info that I listed and were do I unhook the oil injection from?

whipit
05-20-2006, 09:21 PM
why are you going to unhook the oil injection? It sounds like the oil injection is delivering oil as it is designed to do...leave it be. clean the carb , change the tranny oil, chjeck out the air filter and then ride it a while to see where you stand

smoke?? who cares, it is a two stroke

and I think 50:1 is way too lean

Cody
05-20-2006, 09:29 PM
I Agree. Try 32:1.

farmerc
05-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Put it this way there is no bugs around the house killed all them with all the smoke,even chased the dog away. I think that little too much

Dammit!
05-20-2006, 09:53 PM
52:1 with a good synthetic like klotz or amsoil will be just fine for that trike. If a bunch of us can get away with it in high revving performance trikes, it isn't going to hurt a YTM and it won't smoke like a mosquito fogger either.

Get all the old fluids out of it asap. Drain the old gas, 2-stroke oil, tranny oil etc. Put fresh everything in it.

Disconnecting the oil injector and mixing it yourself simply gives you control over the premix and peace of mind. No worries about the oil injector failing and seizing the top end.

holmstrom
05-21-2006, 11:07 AM
52:1 with a good synthetic like klotz or amsoil will be just fine for that trike. If a bunch of us can get away with it in high revving performance trikes, it isn't going to hurt a YTM and it won't smoke like a mosquito fogger either.

Get all the old fluids out of it asap. Drain the old gas, 2-stroke oil, tranny oil etc. Put fresh everything in it.

Disconnecting the oil injector and mixing it yourself simply gives you control over the premix and peace of mind. No worries about the oil injector failing and seizing the top end.
And after it clears up, you can always hook your oil injector back up and take it from there.

farmerc
05-21-2006, 11:51 PM
Thanks for everyones reply to my post. Going to start working on it in the morning,will let everyone how its going and what I find out. Thank You

scary200
05-22-2006, 11:21 AM
lol dad i like our new trikes look but i hate the lggage rack

MIK6
05-22-2006, 01:48 PM
It might have mixed gas in the tank and still have the oil injection hooked up. You might be running double oil. I would go w/ DAMMIT! and change every fluid and start over.

GOOD LUCK
MIK6 / Mike

farmerc
05-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Update: Change all fluids today and replaced,motor was over filled with oil probaly the reason for it smoking so bad,Checked air filter (none there) have got to get one,Cleaned carb,didn't tear it down just took it out and sprayed with carb cleaner. I'm thinking it it needs a rebuild becuase now when i get it running it goes to full thottle without even touching the thottle.Oil injector working fine left it hooked up for the time being. Any thoughts on the carb and what are the ajustments for it.Thanks for everones help

fatcat
05-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Update: Change all fluids today and replaced,motor was over filled with oil probaly the reason for it smoking so bad,Checked air filter (none there) have got to get one,Cleaned carb,didn't tear it down just took it out and sprayed with carb cleaner. I'm thinking it it needs a rebuild becuase now when i get it running it goes to full thottle without even touching the thottle.Oil injector working fine left it hooked up for the time being. Any thoughts on the carb and what are the ajustments for it.Thanks for everones help Check and make shure the slider in the carb is moving right'it might be stuck.

farmerc
05-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Check that,at the moment carb is apart and putting it back togather everything looks ok

fatcat
05-23-2006, 12:41 PM
well on most carbs there is a line up prong onthe side of the carb wall, if the slider sits on the top of this prong it will act like it is stuck at full throttle

farmerc
05-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Just got back from taking it on its first ride,It's running better now till I get to half thottle then it kinda dies out but still goes.Still smoke like crazy burning the oil out of the exhust at least it's not blowing it out of the exhust. It's really quite fast when I get going. Not very good off the road front end to lite and wheelies to easy almost crashed