PDA

View Full Version : 38mm mikuni installed!

250r'en +TCB
05-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Well I finally put the 38mm mikuni TMX carb I got from BigGreenMachine on my 85R. It is stock 246cc now but not for long (read the signature!). Anyway when you punch the throttle it bogs a little bit more than the stock 34mm carb. Obviously this happens because you are suddenly dumping more fuel in than the machine was designed for........but once the powerbands hit you defianltly notice a difference!!!! The machine will easily wheelie going up hill now where before you had to really yank the handlebars for that affect......

I also want to keep the airbox (you must for ice racing) but I need to modify the rubber piece that guides the air from the box to the carb. I had to cut the side to get it to even fit over the intake of the carb, but I can't get it to stick! I was thinking of making a piece that would just meet it after the carb.....
Any suggestions??
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/ATCteen/IMAG0031.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/ATCteen/IMAG0029.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/ATCteen/IMAG0028.jpg

Thanks, Devin

Mr. Sandman
05-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Any suggestions??

Yeah, don't cut the boot. Too late you say...buy a new one on ebay, do a search on 3WW for "beer bottle trick" and you'll find the answer.

deathman53
05-19-2006, 06:01 PM
yeah, the beer bottle trick was mine. heat up the tube and push a regular size bottle of beer in it and let it cool. it is the size of a 38/39mm carb

crackshot
05-19-2006, 06:06 PM
:lol: What brand beer works best?:lol:

deathman53
05-19-2006, 06:24 PM
hahaha, I used a corona bottle. you guys may laugh, but it works.

250r'en +TCB
05-19-2006, 07:04 PM
DAMMIT!!!! hahaha
wish I had known of that trick sooner................ I'll jerry rig something up!!!

Dammit!
05-19-2006, 07:22 PM
I had a HELL of a time making that work. You should be able to find a thread about it. The trick for me was a Corona bottle as previously mentioned and a heat gun. Heat it up, put it in the fridge and repeat a few times. That way it 'remembers' the new shape.

Note: make sure the Corona bottle is empty before using a heat gun on it! Edit: and wear eye protection just in case it breaks.

BigGreenMachine
05-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Get that thing jetted right and slip the clutch instead of dumping it and you'll really appreciate that bigger carb more! lol Glad to see it mounted.

James

250r'en +TCB
05-19-2006, 10:10 PM
The jetting actually seams to be correct....... got to get lucky once in a while right? hahaha
Thanks agian! -Devin

Mr. Sandman
05-19-2006, 11:43 PM
DAMMIT!!!! hahaha
wish I had known of that trick sooner................ I'll jerry rig something up!!!
Jerry rigging, mickey mouseing and afro engineering have no place on a high performance motor (especially on the air filtration system) except in the case of an emergency to temporarily get you by. Fix it right and don't take the chance of destroying an expensive piston and cylinder (especially the 310 you're seeking) should the jerry rigged set up fail and come apart while riding, ice or dirt.

250r'en +TCB
05-20-2006, 01:14 PM
I promise it won't be as crude as it sounds! I made about a 1cm long cut on the side of the boot. I am going to silicone that so nothing can enter. Then proubly wrap the whole boot in plastic. Then I am going to put a hose clamp to secure it. This set up will hold fine until I get a new boot. If anything looks, feels or sounds wrong I will stop imediatly!
Don't worry she'll be fine, she is my baby and I would never do anything I wasn't 100% sure about!!!
-devin

RideRed250R
05-21-2006, 01:35 AM
i just heated up the boot (boiled in it water....it slipped over very easily, but... do what you thinks best, i think you screwed up witht he MikCRAPPY in the first place, good luck tuning that carb.... not to sound like a jerk, but theres a reason Kenin's are so popular in the atv industry
Adam