PDA

View Full Version : Frame question posed

atctim
05-19-2006, 10:51 AM
OK guys - not looking for opinions here - just facts. What was the strongest race trike frame ever made? I am a heavy guy (250lbs) and am looking to build a pure-breed racer capable of handling my weight off of big jumps. I am aware of the 350X frame cracking issues so that frame is out of the question - but what is the strongest - Tecate - Z or R?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Dammit!
05-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Definitely not the Tecate. I know those have a couple weak spots. I've never had a problem with a 250R frame but I have heard of them cracking under extreme abuse (and I mean extreme literally). For jumping, the Z's suspension was typically considered to be inferior to the T3 and the 250R but it's ergonomics are best suited to a big rider out of those three. They're a little more stretched out compared to the T3 and 250R. I don't recall ever hearing anything about the Z having a weak frame. If you get a Z, get the 86 (better forks) and you might end up replacing the swinger because the 86 swingers tend to crack. I'd go with a 250R for what you're talking about personally but if comfort is a factor, look into a Tri-Z.