PDA

View Full Version : tro moto 175 suspension installation

Trikeaholic
03-23-2003, 12:23 PM
well, im doing work therapy on the Tiger and 175. I gotta keep busy so I dont think about how I didnt get the job I REALLY wanted! (see there I go again!)

anyhoo, the pro tec suspension kit seems pretty easy to install. from the information I DO have, there is some "minor" cutting involved. I think I need to take out the trailer hitch cross-member. Also, the article in the magazine that Mobular sent me, says the kit comes with a K&N air filter- thats good info, cause the stock airbox is in the way! I just snapped these pics, and came inside to look at my photos of converted yamahas to see what was up... all you vintage fans....enjoy!

Trikeaholic
03-23-2003, 12:25 PM
also, there will be NO grab bar. thats where the shock mount bolts to.

ATCRYDER
03-23-2003, 01:41 PM
awesome!

That looks similar to a stock blaster shock.

200x Basket
03-23-2003, 02:33 PM
how hard would it be to make the kit. i have the 175 and access to a blaster axle and swinger?????????????????? the swinger will have to be cut down or leave it long to tame the wheely machine 8)

Trikeaholic
03-23-2003, 03:15 PM
all finished! The previous pics, the swing arm was in the wrong location. I figured it out by installing it a few times. You have to cut some of the frame off, it gets in the way. pic one is the left over parts and the metal I cut away from the frame, its not needed for strength, but I was still nervous about doing it. Im not sure this is "correct" but it seemed to be the only way of installing it. I guess I can sell the leftovers, if anyone wants them. the second pic is with the bodywork on. I still need to hook up the brakes, and put a new pull rope in, order a K&N for it. This is about the coolest thing I ever saw!

Trikeaholic
03-23-2003, 03:23 PM
here is the list of mods on my $20 tri moto to date.

bored .010 over
DG head
White Bros. pipe and silencer
mild porting intake/exhaust
Boyesen reeds
NOS Heavy Duty clutch springs
Vesrah clutch discs
Pro-Tec Rear suspension conversion
New brake pads
OEM rear fenders
new bearings
new control cables
Duro tires

I figure there is about $1100 into it now, but its a real screamer. I think Im gonna replace the rear tires with some 18 inch turf tamers, and I still want to update the front suspension, somehow. This trike is what the 200X should have been from the beginning. IMHO

Dynofox
03-23-2003, 03:35 PM
Since you have it finished you bring that to trikefest, that would be a blast!

Dynofox
03-23-2003, 03:37 PM
BTW it looks sweet! How many hours did you put into the rear suspension?

Lots_Of_Nothing
03-23-2003, 03:46 PM
definately cool man, that is one of a kind

200x Basket
03-23-2003, 03:54 PM
I still want to update the front suspension, somehow. This trike is what the 200X should have been from the beginning. IMHO

take a set of 200x forks and triples, either put the ytm fork bolt in or machine the 200x to the ytm specs and bolt it up!!!! skinny front tire, disk brakes, more travel!!!!

freaksfix
03-23-2003, 04:46 PM
That is BADASS. I have allways wanted to work over a 175. They were quick stock, what does it top out at now?

Trikeaholic
03-23-2003, 05:36 PM
I have not ridden it yet. I cant keep a starter rope in it! I also need a longer chain now. last summer, it smoked my 200x really bad. The sprocket that came with the kit is alot larger, so I am thinking it will be scary quick now. Im going to keep the smaller one, so in case its too dangerous. Im glad you all like it, I think it is pretty darn cool, myself. I want an IT200 intake and boost bottle for it too. Its strange, the swingarm bolt is VERY small, I hope it doesnt break! We'll see. Like I said mabey thats not "correct" but it sure seemed like the logical spot to bolt the swinger. I did bounce the rear a little, and it is nice and firm. Its supposed to be a Bilstien shock.

freaksfix
03-23-2003, 05:59 PM
I think my buddy has a 175 intake boot set up for a boost bottle, I'll look in to it for ya..

Trikeaholic
03-23-2003, 08:40 PM
look at the diff. this is it as a hardtail

83GT
03-23-2003, 09:28 PM
Looks good bish......
Sorry to here about the job

Jugernaut
03-23-2003, 09:51 PM
Where did you find that kit??? are they available for other models??? say Hondas for instance???

Trikeaholic
03-29-2003, 04:41 PM
got a chain on today, and took it for a spin! AWESOME. It is alot of fun. fast, snappy, and handles good, too. definitley one of my favorite trikes.

Mobular
03-29-2003, 05:57 PM
Trike, do you have a side pic of the machine with the susp. kit in it? I think it would be good to have a comparison pic to the one above.

Mobular
03-29-2003, 05:58 PM
Doh! Never mind...I see it now!!...
:rolleyes:

Trikeaholic
03-30-2003, 11:03 PM
started to really miss that rear grab bar, so I modified it to fit back where it used to be. Now all I have to do is get the chain at the right tension. It seems to be really loose (too loose) when sitting, and really tight (too tight) when the suspension is compressed.

3WheelHouston
03-31-2003, 03:16 AM
that's one awesome 'Moto, Holic. I can only hope that mine looks that good one day. Queston though: did the suspension help you keep the front end down better when starting quick? The extra rear height would shift the CG forward so I would think that would be a side effect.

Trikeaholic
03-31-2003, 07:08 PM
yes, it does tame it quite a bit, I have a mongo rear sprocket on it, and it is really tame now, even with that.