PDA

View Full Version : 1981 NOS R project...HUGE Update...Build begins NOW!!

Orangecnty250r
05-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Beginning of the build!!!! worlds greatest first year 1981 ATC250r :w00t:

Well Mike fom Vintage Motorsports could have been dressed as Santa Clause when he personally delivered the parts he has worked on for me yesterday. The workmanship is superb!!!! Thanks to him, great fellow board members here, my persistance, and old dealers not throwing some of this stuff out.... the build of the WORLDS most accurate and stunning showroom 81 R has begun. Mike did great work and was a great guy to chat with...It was a pleasure to meet him.

The goal: To Build the BEST 1981 ATC 250r in the world!!!

How: Contract with the best and secure every NOS part I can get my hands on for the build

Why: A TRIBUTE ....I feel the first model year 1981 Honda ATC 250R was the beggining of the Legendary 250r nameplate, not only for three wheelers but it led to the legendary 1986 Fourtrax 250r which dominated for many years. It will be placed on a stage that is slightly higher than the rest of the collection and enjoyed for many years. I feel a showroom quality machine should be built out of respect for what it started in the two stroke 250R ATV arena

The NOS Score: These parts have been photo documented individually with there original packaging for a portfolio on this machine.

All of the following are NEW FACTORY PARTS 99% of which are discontinued.

1. Factory rear fender...found on a dealer shelf in the honda wrapper and in the box
2. Factory front fender
3. Factory Headlight shell
4. Front hub
5. headlight mounting bracket
6. tail light assemb.
7. Chain Guide
8. Gas cap
9. Factory fuel tank labels...not repros
10. Factory Rear fender decals...not repros
11. Shifter and rubber
12. Tool box
13. Tool kit
14. Mudflaps
15. Mudflap mounts
16. Factory front sprocket
17. Rear hubs..pair
18. Factory rear sprocket
19. Wire harness
20. Rear skid plate
21. Front caliper
22. Honda brake pads front and rear
23. 961 Honda factory grips
24. New factory switches...both of them
25. Front axle
26. Passion red rear drum assembly
27. Rear brake pedal
28. All exhaust mounts
29. Hondlaine headlight guard
30. All front brake hose guides
31. Fork boots
32. New carb intake
33. Rear drum cable lever
34. Clutch perch
35. Clutch and brake levers
36. Sprocket cover
37. Factory red stator cover
38. Factory red clutch cover
39. Factory red left engine case
40. Factory red righ engine case
41. Several new gold rim wheel halves
42. Cylinder exaust stay
43. NOS black engine gaskets...new are green
44. Master cylinder parts
45. New factory red case saver
46. Tons of new Rubbers
47. All new cables
48. Tons of new factory bolts
And more little stuff!!!!!!!

OK that was just new old stock factory parts...The seat I have is mint...I may have the pan powdercoated. I did hold an NOS seat in my hands but its on its way to a bud!!!

The refinished parts to NOS quality include,

Handle bars, building and refinishing parts on the NOS engine, factory exhaust, building/refinishing the wheels, fuel tank, frame, heat schield, swingarm, Front forks, rear shock, axle, foot pegs and many more smaller brackets, mount, bolts.....to much to list.....powder, painting, polishing, and plating.

Parts I would still like to find
rear grab bar
engine skid plate
carb
a few smaller decals

Orangecnty250r
05-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Here are some more pics

Dave223
05-18-2006, 06:53 PM
man o man, I cant wait to see this thing all together!!!!
Would I be considered strange if I got wood from these pics?????:D :D :D

You should get a few group shots of all your toys, i bet they are something to see. Dave

blue27
05-18-2006, 06:55 PM
AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can I come to dinner?

Orangecnty250r
05-18-2006, 07:06 PM
A side note in case anyone was wondering...All of the NOS engine parts were a flat red finish from factory during this era with the exception of the case saver and sprocket cover .....they came glossy. Thats how they came out of the wrapper.

Here is a better pic of the engine...I didnt realize how bad the others were. Dammit will tell me again to buy a new camera :D ...but this should be an indication of why there is no money left for the camera :lol:

BTW these parts look even nicer in person..I am very excited to get started on this

Kintore
05-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Your the man OC! I love your collection, group photo!

C mon, whats a 200 dollar cam beside a ( I dont want to know how much it cost) for that motor!

lol just playing, nice R!

chris200x
05-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Dear God Man!!! :eek: I've been axioulsy awaiting this project. So how long have you been gathering the parts for this? I know some people don't like to mention this but can we get a total on the reciepts? :naughty: :) Also when can we expect to see this fully assembled and complete? I can hardly wait to see it all finished up. Oh, didn't you have a pic somewhere of this trike when you brought it home? If i remember correctly it wasn't in that bad of shape to begin with correct? Sorry for all the questions but this is the mother of all projects for sure! :w00t:

Orangecnty250r
05-18-2006, 07:38 PM
Dear God Man!!! :eek: I know some people don't like to mention this but can we get a total on the reciepts? :naughty: :) Also when can we expect to see this fully assembled and complete? I can hardly wait to see it all finished up. :

As for the receipts....this is no BS... I stopped counting a while back because I truly dont want to know myself:eek: I couldnt afford to go this far with all my machines....I still have a house to finish :lol: but as I said I wanted this one to be a tribute to a legend and to the many years of joy 250rs have brought to people all around the world. I have a few odds and ends to order (a few more bolts and bearings)...my guess is 4-6 weeks it will be done or close to it. I will post pics of progress in 2 weeks

willcamach
05-18-2006, 07:44 PM
wo wthat is going to be awesome. honda themselves will be jealous of your trike when youre done

twgranger
05-18-2006, 08:31 PM
:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

250r'en +TCB
05-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Thank god their are people left in the world like you!:w00t: :beer
I don't know how you found all those parts, all i can say is please don't ride this museum piece of ATV/C history!! :lol: :w00t:
-Devin

Infinity Cycle Supply LLC.
05-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Bill get a new camera!!! After talking to you this evening and you told me there were pictures of the project on here I had to fight the urge to goto bed and look. I cannot imagine what that will look like. Do me and yourself a favor this time, get a friend to help you slide that motor in there!!:beer

crackshot
05-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Are you going to ride it or mothball it for display only?

BTW, Looks great.

Billy Golightly
05-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Wow...now that is gonna be a bad ass piece of equipment when it is done. Cleanest trike ever award!

Maine_Triker
05-18-2006, 10:49 PM
WOW man....... that is completely sick... HAHA!!!

Definitely going to be the awesomest trike ever... better then it was new back in 1980 LOL

82300R
05-18-2006, 11:48 PM
once again,you are mr. thang. very nice work. i admire you for recognizing the what the 81 r represents. was it the best r? no. but what it started was an entire new direction for atc's and is definatly something special.:beer

Chevy200s
05-19-2006, 12:00 AM
I just wanted to say I think its awesome that your doing something like this. That motor looks clean enough to eat off of...Very nice work man, cant wait to see the finished product!!:w00t:

Dammit!
05-19-2006, 12:12 AM
Dammit will tell me again to buy a new camera :D ...but this should be an indication of why there is no money left for the camera :lol:

The funny thing is, I was thinking that as soon as I saw the thread without even opening it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

vintagemotorsports
05-19-2006, 06:30 AM
Hey Bill,
The parts look great all together , It was very nice to meet you and your place is fantastic I cant wait to see the showroom when its finished. I always like to meet my customers face to face it gives these big jobs just that extra personal touch , and I did not feel safe putting all those months of work in the hands of a truck company who knows what they would have looked like when they got to you . I cant wait to see it all bolted together.
take care
Mike

Orangecnty250r
05-19-2006, 07:45 AM
I felt much safer to :D Mike, I barley got a thing done around the house with all this accurate passion red, zinc plating, powder, and paint clouding my vision . I had the whole parts lot in three different places and just stared at your craftmanship all day long. Words cant describe and the pics do it no justice.....SO

Everbody I promise when its time to do the completion pics I will have purchased a new camera. Before I post I will ask someone for help to show me how to post the BIG pics for this one. You guy WILL get great :pics: on this one!!!! You have OC's word

scooterroo
05-19-2006, 08:12 AM
that is gonna be one heck of a beautiful trike when your done with it. cant wait to see the finished result. i remember when the r first came out thinking" man that thing is a monster". i was only 9 then. its nice to see something like this cuz it kinda takes me back to my childhood. and after all that is why i love trikes. cuz they make me feel like a kid again. so your going to have a showroom for all your bikes? would love to come check them out the next time i am down that way to go to the o.c.c. store and check out their bikes. how far from there are you?

Russell 350X
05-19-2006, 08:15 AM
That is gonna be sick looking, cant wait to see the pics!

edog
05-19-2006, 10:50 AM
WOW,Mike does great work.Can't wait to see it all together.

petesatc
05-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Looking good OC .....the best 81R in the world!!!!! can't wait to see all back together.......Mike did a awesome job too......:D

Orangecnty250r
06-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Well the Mint seat I have is nice but this NOS seat that came rollin in today will fit the project much better and make it look crisper.....A new In the box 25 year old ATC saddle...doesnt get much cooler than that!!!! :w00t: :w00t:

Just have to dust off the seat pan....should have done that before I snapped the pics :crazy:

Billy Golightly
06-01-2006, 09:22 PM
hey...thats got the new style part # sticker. Cant be to old of stock? :wondering:

Orangecnty250r
06-01-2006, 09:55 PM
hey...thats got the new style part # sticker. Cant be to old of stock? :wondering:

Thats actually a middle of the road one as far as dating....newer ones have a different look....I ve gotten some weired relabeld stuff at times..old paper printed labels with newer labels stuck on them on them...not sure of Honda procedures with that stuff....does say it was in there stock not to many years ago :D

Darius1502
03-04-2014, 11:55 PM
Wow...its just amazing. I forget how good these things looked! Who else could find all these NOS parts!

honda200x1987
03-05-2014, 12:27 AM
I see this is a old thread OC ,do you have pictures of this 250R all put together? Also, I haven't seen any new posts from Mike at vintagemotorsports, I wonder if he has built any new ATC's lately?

aldochina
03-05-2014, 01:04 AM
ya, what ever happened to this?? How is Mike? last I new he had a serious accident in the shop, and was laid up?? hope all is good!

Zach
03-05-2014, 05:04 AM
I got all excited when I saw all the beginning pics I hope the builder is ok, I would love to see some finished pics of that beautiful 250r

vintagemotorsports
03-05-2014, 08:22 AM
Hey guys, thought I would jump in for a sec, I am alive and well I havent posted anything in a long time on this site since my accident I need to start posting recent restorations now and again . My shop has been very very busy and have been pushing out alot of 3 wheelers the past year or so I am also doing some non 3 wheeler projects for my customer in Holland some real one off Vintage MX and flat track bikes that suck up alot of time . I will try to post some stuff up soon
Mike

Darius1502
03-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Here are some more pics

Just to see these parts and the bright red...gosh it gives me chills!!