PDA

View Full Version : 200x top end rebuild

oldskool
05-18-2006, 05:03 AM
Ok I got a 84 200x to play around with last week. It smokes like a choo choo train! Still has lots of power but smokes so bad it breaks up at mid-upper rpms and won't idle good until warm. I don't want to break anything so it's parked until I get it fixed. I figure I must rebuild the top end so here are my questions...

First off where can I locate an afforable stock rebuild kit for it? I should be able to have my cylinder and head machined here locally. Anyone's experience with a mild pep up? 10.25:1 wiseco piston and a "1 step up from stock" webcamshaft and maybe 350x carb? Would this destroy the old bottom end? The trike has been well-maintained...

Last off I need a new muffler for it. Any recommendations for improved performance without too much noise or should I just get another stock one?

Thank you for your suggestions!

- Dave

scooterroo
05-18-2006, 07:59 AM
top ends are easy to rebuild on an x. a nice new wiseco piston and rings, maybe a timing chain and guides, cam, valves and springs. try your local honda dealer first, i like bikebandit.com, and dennis kirk also. not sure on the 350x carb though. not sure if they are still availible, i think they are though, is the cobra exhaust by dg, both head pipe and silencer. might be others out there but i havent looked for x parts in some time.

Erics350x
05-18-2006, 10:36 AM
i have the cobra exhaust on my 350x and its way to loud. id go with dg. as for the machine work , be sure the shop has done honda atc's before they have to be tight bore's or they smoke.

oldskool
05-22-2006, 04:03 AM
I looked at supertrapp exhaust homepage - they have a variety at affordable prices especially on the universal products. probly what i'll go with. any experience with the different models? as long as it's not louder than a straight pipe I'll be happy!

Going ahead with the wiseco piston - i'll learn the hard way!

Still looking at webcamshafts - How much lift can I go before clearance becomes an issue? Any alternatives to webcamshafts and advice on selecting the right cam for the 10.25:1 piston. This one looked about right to me: Lift .362, duration 270 / 240 @ .05, #55-531

this is an '84 200x

THANKS!

edog
05-22-2006, 07:42 AM
http://www.powroll.com/P_HONDA_ATC200X.htm