PDA

View Full Version : Brakes brakes stupid brakes.

sirdirk007
05-17-2006, 12:37 AM
I have bought now 5 master cylinders for my 83 250r and none of them any good. I finally bought 2 rebuild kits and after putting the new parts in and bleeding the brakes, I still cant seem to get the caliper to work. I am now gonna take the caliper of and see if its stuck. Any luck I will let ya know.

If the Caliper moves and the pads are good, I have no idea what to do next. These rear brakes are driving me crazy.

Oh by the way. Dennis Kirk web site is probably the best thing I have learned about on here since I joined. Thanks for that. guys.

sirdirk007
05-17-2006, 12:37 AM
I have bought now 5 master cylinders for my 83 250r and none of them any good. I finally bought 2 rebuild kits and after putting the new parts in and bleeding the brakes, I still cant seem to get the caliper to work. I am now gonna take the caliper of and see if its stuck. Any luck I will let ya know.

If the Caliper moves and the pads are good, I have no idea what to do next. These rear brakes are driving me crazy.

Oh by the way. Dennis Kirk web site is probably the best thing I have learned about on here since I joined. Thanks for that. guys.

wanta250r
05-17-2006, 01:43 AM
make sure you are bleeding them correctly... otherwise, rebuild the caliper too.

Erics350x
05-17-2006, 09:50 AM
im having the same problems with my 350x. honda breaks are the biggest crap buckets ive seen.

ATCWRENCH
05-17-2006, 10:02 AM
when you pull the caliper off to check it out, pull the piston out and check the seals. you have to pull the pads off and use compressed air to get the piston out. take the banjo bolt out of the caliper and use a rubber tipped air nozzle and burp the caliper with it and the piston should pop out. do not try and catch the piston when its still in the caliper and tries come out, you will smash your finger bad enough you want to piss yourself. I did it cuz I didnt know any better.

once the piston is out check the seals and if they are in good condition take them out and remember which order they went in. clean up the caliper real nice with no debris left in it. put your seals back in and put the piston back in. take a little bit of dot 5 brake fluid and rub it around the piston so it slides in easy, it will be kinda fussy at first but take it easy and it will go in. once the piston is in, push it in until it stops, replace your pads and put the caliper back on the bike with everything hooked back up and torqued to spec. over tightening the banjo bolts is just as bad as a loose one.

there are a few ways I have found to bleed brakes. one is the simpliest, get a hold of www.jlatvproducts.com and find the E Z bleeder and order it. fill the syringe with brake fluid and open the bleeder, now with the syringe you force the fluid through the bleeder to fill the caliper up which then the fluid travels up the line in to the master cylinder and then fill the cylinder up. close the bleeder as you are getting done and still pushing on the syringe. top off the master cylinder, replace the lid and diaphram and you are done.

the other way is really slow. fill the master cylinder and with something to tap on the master with, lightly pump the cylinder and tap on the cylinder at the same time, you will notice air bubbles to almost continously keep coming up. do this long enough and it will eventually harden up, from there simply bleed the brake like the manual shows.