PDA

View Full Version : 30,000

Paysts
05-15-2006, 12:31 AM
30,000 PPM Hydrocarbons!

Holy crap! That's what my 250R was putting out according to the analyzer. The problem I was having was that my 250R was fouling the plugs, leaving them black and gooey. It royally fouled my BR9ES after less than 5 minutes of riding when warmed up!

I was going to ask on 3WW but I have been getting lousy responses, soooo....I put it on the analyzer for answers. :)

It fired up and it was up to 40,000 PPM on the hydrocarbons and over 10% on the carbon monoxide, but it finally settled to about 23,000. Then I unhooked it from the anaylyzer and it STAYED AT 23,000 PPM: The anaylzer was CLOGGED up by the 250R. After about 30 minutes, it's still at about 300 PPM hydrocarbon, which would cause most modern vehicles to fail emissions in the state of Texas. Wow.

To give you an example of how messed up these emissions are, the worst I have ever seen on a bad day was 8,000 hydrocarbons and that was inspecting some old Ford truck with bad 4-barrel on its nearly choked V8. The Honda 250R is still polluting some 5 times worse than the worse vehicle I have ever seen in my entire life.

If pollution were murder, the 250R would be make the Holocaust look like a small-time attack by Al-Quada. I'm not sure the God himself could devise something with so much pollution. I am almost sure that if I poured RAW GASOLINE on the floor of the garage and then put it to the analyzers nose, the pollution would be no where near as bad as what was comming out of the 250R. In fact, you might as well drink gasoline....

To give you an example, my Chevy truck, with a TBI 350 and a messed up catalytic converter puts out about 150 hydrocarbons at idle and about 40 at highway speeds. Given the breathing of the 250R, because of its two-stroke power, is about equivalent to a 500 cc engine. If the 250R was going about 30,000 PPM hydrocarbons, even if you divide the displacement of the 5735 CC engien of the Chevy truck, you still get a disgusting amount of pollution: The single cylinder 250R is polluting about 200 TIMES MORE!

So, I sheepishly ask of thy forum, do these machines normally belt out this much pollution? Should I change the air/fuel ratio of my machine, by playing around with the needles? Thanks.l

Brushwacker
05-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Just fathom for a minute that 1 single Boeing 747 taking off and landing pollutes more than all the atc's put together on earth EVER. don't even think about a Ocean liner.. seems the tree huggers only single out the little guys

Billy Golightly
05-15-2006, 09:45 AM
I'm not the big enviromentalist type myself. Infact anytime I'm using an aerosol can for something I go ahead and give a couple extra squirts in the air for good measure :lol:

If the plug is black and gooey you are most definetly rich or have a failing electrical system that cannot complete the burn. Try a B8ES plug, one step hotter then the 9. I do not know at what portion of the RPMs you are holding it when its loading up, but do a search on jetting chart and you can find out what needs to be adjusted for what parts of the power band.

Paysts
05-15-2006, 08:13 PM
I'm not the big enviromentalist type myself. Infact anytime I'm using an aerosol can for something I go ahead and give a couple extra squirts in the air for good measure :lol:

If the plug is black and gooey you are most definetly rich or have a failing electrical system that cannot complete the burn. Try a B8ES plug, one step hotter then the 9. I do not know at what portion of the RPMs you are holding it when its loading up, but do a search on jetting chart and you can find out what needs to be adjusted for what parts of the power band.

Thanks. I'm not bashing two strokes, but you can certainly understand how confused I felt when seeing 30,000 hydrocarbons--more than anything I've ever seen--as I stood there looking to get it in tune! :lol:

peeweesp
05-15-2006, 08:19 PM
yeah i dont know if you all heard about lawn mowers in cali soon may need cat converters becasue they cause too much air pollution how i dont know i saw it on the world news and almost peed what about the 5 million cars lol