PDA

View Full Version : vinyl paint?

Dammit!
05-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Anybody ever use a vinyl spray paint on a trike seat? I was thinking about painting the homemade burgundy seat on my Z black. I've never used any of that stuff before though so I don't know how well it holds up.

Recommendations on brands or anything? The seat I have is in good condition and is extremely comfortable. No sense in replacing it if I don't have to. The color just HAS to go. :lol:

Edit: anyone ever try this stuff (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8060992323&fromMakeTrack=true)?

Troll 2
05-14-2006, 11:06 PM
I used vht black vinyl dye on the 350x red seat. Its holding up great so far. Good luck on yours.

http://www.bmi.net/magoos/revived1.jpg

Dammit!
05-14-2006, 11:19 PM
I can't find a local dealer for the vht. Found some duplicolor though. Not sure if I want to use that. Don't know why but I get the feeling the vht is superior.

Dammit!
05-15-2006, 12:02 AM
Troll: what color was that seat originally?

Troll 2
05-15-2006, 12:32 AM
It was a red cover. I sprayed the black stripping on. I like the vht brand. Its more of a dye than paint.........................:beer

Dammit!
05-21-2006, 02:28 PM
One more question. Was it the gloss black or the satin black?

I already ordered some gloss black but now I'm wondering if maybe satin would have been a better choice.

Unclediezel
05-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Both brands will hold up well, But Yes --VHT is better......Just be carreful until you get the hang of it---It RUNS terribly if you arent careful.

Dammit!
05-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Both brands will hold up well, But Yes --VHT is better......Just be carreful until you get the hang of it---It RUNS terribly if you arent careful.

Well this is the guinea pig. Right now it looks like somebody took the arm of a 1970's Laz-e-boy and put it on a trike so anything is going to be an improvement. It's actually very comfortable though. If I can make it look decent I'll leave it on there for a while.

85ytz250n
05-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Actually that looks exactly like the seat material used in my 79 Ranger, even has the little crinkle texture. Must be the material, cause the seat in my truck is comfortable to.

Barry

Dammit!
05-23-2006, 12:05 AM
I got the VHT Vinyl Dye today. Here's the results.

The Tri-Z seat came out really good. It wasn't completely dry when I took the pics but almost. It says it takes 72 hours to completely cure. I put three coats on the Z seat and then used what I had left on the 200x seat. I ran out though. You can still see a little blue showing through on that one. Gonna order some more. Might get some white this time too and mess around with stenciling.

You can tell this stuff is not paint. It goes on super thin but still covers very well. Assuming it holds up (and it really seems like it will), I'd have to say I'm very impressed with it.

Dammit!
05-23-2006, 02:36 AM
Oh yeah. Much better. :naughty: :pics:

firefirefire90
05-23-2006, 02:53 AM
I personally think that Tri-Z looks really sharp with that White plastics and number plate. Good looking trikes you have there Dammit!

Dammit!
05-23-2006, 02:56 AM
Oh just wait. Both of those trikes are going to be absolutely sick looking in the near future. I've just been stock piling parts for them for nearly a year but I have just about everything I need for both of them now so it's almost powdercoat time.

ClayW
05-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Hey, Thought I might add this. I used vinyl paint on some seat vinyl once before. I did good until it baked one day in the sun. The heat from the sun split the vinyl seat cover open all over the place. As you can imagine, this trashed the seat cover. :(

Dammit!
05-23-2006, 10:22 AM
Hey, Thought I might add this. I used vinyl paint on some seat vinyl once before. I did good until it baked one day in the sun. The heat from the sun split the vinyl seat cover open all over the place. As you can imagine, this trashed the seat cover. :(

What product did you use?

ClayW
05-23-2006, 11:33 AM
It was a aerosol spray can for vinyl. Got it at the parts store.

Clay

Dammit!
05-23-2006, 03:38 PM
You remember who made it? VHT, Duplicolor, Krylon?

Just curious. The stuff I used is almost more like spray ink than spray paint.

Red Rider
05-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Dammit, make sure you don't wear your vinyl, Motley Crue pants while your riding in the hot Arizona desert. Otherwise you and your seat will become one. :eek:

Dammit!
05-23-2006, 04:30 PM
They're spandex so no worries. :lol: :lol: :lol:

3peeler
05-23-2006, 05:21 PM
you must clean it very well and i would recommend SEM you can get it at a body shop supply store some colors in spray bomb some custom colors must be sprayed thru a gun but the key to any of them is to make sure you scrub the heck out of it with a harsh cleaner like superclean or bleach white tire cleaner or similer and let it dry completely and when you spray the dye on make sure to follow it up with some dye clear it will wear much longer ive done this in my body shop with alot of sucsess even on car seats

Bryan Raffa
05-23-2006, 11:19 PM
any of you guys tryed it on plastic yet?? just wonder if it will scrach off???

ClayW
05-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Yeah pretty much anything you put on plastic will scratch off. The only thing that will stay on plastic really well is automotive paint with flex-additive. Thats what they use on car bumpers. Also if your fenders have been pasted with armorall for years, even that prob wont bond very well due to the oils imbeaded in the plastic.

Dammit if I had to guess, it was Duplicolor. Its was 6 years ago, so I dont have it fresh in my memory.

Clay

Bryan Raffa
05-25-2006, 09:56 PM
any one try this yet?? http://72.10.43.141/plasticpaint.htm