PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke silencers does brand matter

I_ride_on_3
05-11-2006, 05:45 PM
I have been wondering. does brand, shape and size matter on the silencer of a 2 stroke. there seems to be alot of them out there. all this would be for a 250r but im sure it relates to any 2 stroke. i know that the expansion chamber has a huge effect on the performance, just wondering how much really the silencer comes into play?

250r'en +TCB
05-11-2006, 06:02 PM
usually the londer the body on the silecer, the more top and you get and low end you loose...... It's not a drastic effect like the expansion pipe though....

I_ride_on_3
05-11-2006, 08:52 PM
so a bigger shorter silencer would be better for low end?

TravEX
05-11-2006, 09:44 PM
What is on your's now? The reason I'm asking is because I have a FMF Powercore that is shortened several inches, and I would like to trade for one that is not cut.

I see you're in Memphis, do you ride anywhere in NE AR?

later

Travis

I_ride_on_3
05-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Well for that area your in Id say St Joe state park. mine has a DG silencer on it now. are you going to be at trike Fest?

TravEX
05-12-2006, 08:10 AM
I planned on it, but not going to be able to make it. St Joe's is a few hrs away, thought you might ride somewhere in AR where we might could plan a ride.

RedRider_AK
05-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Wha? I have a YZ 80 with an FMF Powercore on it, and I really don't feel any difference in power delivery. It's just louder.

Mr. Sandman
05-12-2006, 05:21 PM
usually the londer the body on the silecer, the more top and you get and low end you loose...... It's not a drastic effect like the expansion pipe though.... Oh please spare me! If there is any difference in power it'll be because of the weight savings over the stock anchor that comes on most trikes, quads, bikes and any felt increase in power will be by the the seat of your pants and that'll be because of the "if it's louder it must be faster theory".

TimSr
05-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Unless the inside diameter of the silnencer is smaller than the end of the pipe it attaches to, the silencer has almost nothing to do with the power delivered froma 2 stroke other than for those who confuse noise for power.

G-MAN-1
05-13-2006, 09:18 PM
i definately disagree with this tim.
why would you want the diameter to be smaller in the core of silencer. and for one i had one made that way 2 years ago and it did nothing but mess my engine up. so differ this. check out some websites on diff. silencer and read what they have to say.b/c i differ yours.sorry but i am a definate 2stroke guy that has very fast machines and i use after market parts........and length has alot to do with silencers

KASEY
05-13-2006, 09:31 PM
ITS LOUDER ,,, so its gotta be faster,,,,,, WHATEVER!!

THE TUNING IS IN THE PIPE,,,, if you buy a quiet core silencer it might change the power a little from the restriction to make it quieter,,,, 2 strokes are not effected by silencers like 4 strokes are,,,, but in both cases the quieter usuallty the more restriction,,,,, :D :D :D

3Razors
05-13-2006, 11:33 PM
The length of the silencer does make a difference in the power delivery of a 2 stroke.

Shorter silencers give more top-end power than longer ones.

NOS_350X
05-14-2006, 12:11 AM
The length of the silencer does make a difference in the power delivery of a 2 stroke.

Its simple and thats the way it works. You cant argure with what all these pipe builder come up with. Its all in the physics.

TimSr
05-14-2006, 12:55 PM
i definately disagree with this tim.
why would you want the diameter to be smaller in the core of silencer.

You wouldnt, but if it was, it would affect performance (in a negative way). I wasnt saying you would gain anything. I was saying it would affect performance. If the silencer is larger than the end of the pipe, its not going to affect performance because the flow cant travel any faster than the smallest diameter point of the exhaust system allows.

As for length of silencer, while Ill concede that you may show some precision equipment measured difference on an engineering chart, Ill still maintain that as a rider, you cant tell the difference between a 8" silencer and a 12" silencer that goes beyond noise level.

The key elements in a two stroke exhaust are the length and shape of the expansion chamber, and the point and diameter of the exit restriction which is that reduced area you connect your silencer too. Whether the silencer is an 8" or 12" extension of that reduction is pretty insignificant. Granted, if your silencer was 36" long, it might become noticeable.

TimSr
05-14-2006, 12:57 PM

This is true of the pipe, but not of what happens after the final restriction.

TimSr
05-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Its simple and thats the way it works. You cant argure with what all these pipe builder come up with. Its all in the physics.

I dont believe I am arguing with pipe builders. I believe I am agreeing with them.