PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Big Red REVIVAL!!!

jrhody
05-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi. I am new here as I have recently been trying to get my 1983 ATC 200 Big Red going. All I need to do is to change the chain and sprockets, but my Haynes manual is unclear about my particular model. In all these cases, my manual indicates something different-maybe true on other models it covers.

Here are the problems I am having:

1. The rear brake drum won't come off. According to the manual, it should just slide right off. I muscled it to the point I thought I should stop or else something would break-which has been known to happen. I got the 2 nuts and tapered washer loose, but can anyone tell me what that collar-type thing is and what comes next? I think it’s attached to the drum, but neither one budges.

2. In front, what are the things i need to take off to get to the drive sprocket? I didn’t want to take a ton of stuff apart if I didn’t have to.

The neutral indicator- I don’t even know how to get that off

The box that engages the high/low range- I took all the bolts out and it doesn’t even budge. The front sprocket is behind that so I assumed I needed to take that off to get to it-along with the crank case cover.

3. The rear sprocket –does the whole axel have to be pulled out from that side in order to undo it from the back side? That’s what the manual says and I see no other nuts/bolts to remove.

If anyone is familiar with these things, I would be indebted to you for your help. I try to do all the work on my wife’s and my vehicles. There is always some extreme learning the first time. ATVs are not something I am very familiar with. What other surprises did you have when you did this work? It would be nice to know what I can expect.

I have been itching to get out and ride again. I am from the north woods of Wisconsin and have been trying to get home to ride around again. Stuck in Minneapolis is nowhere to be.

-Jess

jrhody
05-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Does anyone know where I can download a factory shop manual online for free? I saw one here, but it was for an '85 350X 3 wheeler. My email is Jrhody@hotmail.com
-Jess

bobbyg
05-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi there, I've got an '83 big red as well and I got a shop manual download for free from this website :

http://deepa.recongamer.com/hondamanuals/index.html

If that doesn't work, email me and I'll email the .pdf document to you

Note: its the shop sevice repair manual, not the do-it-yourself version with dummy instructions (which is what I wanted).

thefox
05-11-2006, 11:14 PM
Welcome to 3 Wheeler World!

The rear brake drum just pulls off but if it is like the majority of the Honda drums I have pulled it won't come off easy. Try hitting it with a mallet to break it loose. It's a solid unit so don't worry about using some force. I have had to make a puller do get one off before but most will come off with some time spent.

Front sprocket, I will check my book tomorrow. I haven't had to pull mine apart yet.

Rear sprocket, it should just pull off. I haven't had to pull mine yet but on the other Hondas the studs are welded in. You might have to wiggle the sprocket some because I believe it is rubber mounted. I will check this out tomorrow too.

Good luck!

jrhody
05-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Hey, that looks like some fun riding there. i'm sure you guys have done the thing where you tip it sideways ride it on the front wheel and one of the back wheels. those things are so easy to balance, its a riot. i could almost go in a straight line like that.

good tips on the brake drum. its nice to know that i can open up a can of popeye's spinach on it. so as i was trying to get motivated this morning it came to me that i should take a torch and heat up that collar attached to drum. if there is some rubber seal in there, i'm sure that would break it loose. also, i dont care about the brakes working. they never have anyway. oops, did i say that? don't let my wife hear.

yesterday i got the transmission opened up. all i need to do is get the piece behind the hi/low range gears off and the front sprocket will be mine. it just bites that i have to take the gearbox apart. i am going to take lots of pictures so if i lose my place i can put it back together. thats a new one on me.

bobby, by the way, what town are you from? i doubt i'd know, but i hail from spirit which is about 30 miles west of tomahawk on hwy 86. great woods to ride around in.

JackFlack
05-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Why don't you do it the easy way and buy a chain breaker. Break the chain you have, hook the new chain to the old chain, then feed it though the engine.

Save youself alot of time. And you wont have to touch the engine or rear axle.

You should change those rear brakes tho, and grease the axle bearings. Try a little liquad Wrench on the collar of the brake drum. Then tap on the axle to slide it through.

jrhody
05-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Yeah, thats what i did before when i took a link out of the chain. except this time, i need to replace the sprocket so i don't see any way around it. i may lube that collar again. i did soak it pretty good once thinking it would come loose over night.

greensled
05-13-2006, 04:34 AM
For the rear brake drum-- Loosen the rear brake cables!! You cant pull the drum off if the shoes are putting even slight pressure on it

jrhody
05-13-2006, 10:54 AM
oh man i feel dumb. the brake cables! of course! its little stuff like that that makes sense but a guy just doesn't think of. much thanks for that tip.

Russell 350X
05-13-2006, 01:43 PM
The rear end is easy, its the front sprocket I've had issues with. You have to take the left cover off to get to it, that means the sub-tranny. The black cover the recoil bolts to, behind that cover there is another one, you got to take that one off. Hope this helps :)

jrhody
05-13-2006, 04:58 PM
yeah, thats sounds like what i am seeing

jrhody
05-15-2006, 10:22 PM
So I got the front sprocket off and hope that all the gear i took out will go back in. i don't have clue if that was connected with timing or anything. i am praying i didn't screw it up. hey, i figured out that the rear drum is just rusted on. i was talking to a guy at the shop and he said they will do that. sometimes they have to break them off. hoping i can get it.