PDA

View Full Version : Are trikes just a hobby to you, or is it more?

Billy Golightly
05-10-2006, 08:11 PM
More, like, a way of life. I really dont know how to explain it other then similiar to the "Harley owners thing" that they all seem to share in common with each other. When I say a way of life, I mean like that it is the center of your everyday behavior. Maybe not the single most important thing to you, but definetly high up on the scale. I think I'm seeing more and more of this in our own community where we are not just riding or buying/selling trikes as a hobby but it has taken some kind of a different more meaningful thing to each of us. I read atctim's thread about the virus spreading, and also part of Louis Mielke's thread about riders and collectors and it just strikes me that there is a significant group of people here who look at trikes and what is associated with them in a whole different level then the casual rider. Am I crazy?

Go ahead and haul me away I guess.:crazy:

crd00
05-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Nope your far from crazy, trikes are an everyday thing for me and it is a way of life. I have been driving trikes all my life and I wont stop. I have been on this forum everyday for the past 2 weeks just looking to buy a front end and in between all of it- riding the trike, now tell me that isnt obsessed:lol: . I love trikes and will always have a passion for them:w00t:

nouseforaname90
05-10-2006, 08:23 PM
You're right. Its a passion, really. I love riding trikes and I ride mine 2-3 times on a normal day, but I love fixing them and rebuilding them just as much as I love riding them. Triking is my way of life!!! :TrikesOwn

Howdy
05-10-2006, 08:24 PM
You mean there is other things than Trikes? Why hasn't anyone told me this before now?
Howdy

250r'en +TCB
05-10-2006, 08:28 PM
An expression of who I am and what I stand for I'd say. I have strong beliefs that you can do anything when you set your mind to it. I will NEVER sell my R. Maybe buy more, but never sell the machine that got me all started.

Kintore
05-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Im all about them, this site is the best and has helped me. I am having slothminx from UK coming over to canada, never even met him in person! I seriously think about trikes most of the day, what to do, paint schemes, anything!

I love trikes, and I agree billy, we are a giant community and all love a common goal. Trikes OWN!

BigGreenMachine
05-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Its more about riding to me. Hell put me on a dirtbike or quad I don't care, as long as I get out in the trails, pits and fireroads for a good blast I'm happy. Right now though I do have a fondness for trikes in general. The 250 racers get my blood pumping. Absoluetly hate anyone coming down on trikes or poking fun, mainly the ignorant people that know no different and when they think of a "trike" they invision a BR250 or Yamahauler..

350Xhilaration
05-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Love the trikes, but it's a hobby. Sorry. I'll never sell my X, and I would buy more someday, but it's not a driving life force for me.

Somekindofjerk
05-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Its a nice big... huge hobby to have and very fun too! Just gotta love braging with friends about a days ride and what your trike does or you can do with your trike.

McDerry
05-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Mud
Rock
Women

That order

westcoast TRI-Z
05-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Its more about riding to me. Hell put me on a dirtbike or quad I don't care, as long as I get out in the trails, pits and fireroads for a good blast I'm happy.
Ditto! its offroading as a whole for me that's a past-time, bikes, quads, go-karts, trucks...etc. It's just that right now, the only high-performance machine I have is the three-wheeler. But I'll still ride it wherever I go, it stands out, its unique, I love getting all the stairs:cool: :lol:

Louis Mielke
05-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Dude I'm totally there with you. Its a way of life. I was telling my girlfriend the other day, if you wanna get married your not gaining a man, your gaining a stable of threewheelers....and don't ever come between me and my trikes. Thats grounds for divorce. lol

It really is a way of life, and I do my best to try and preserve the lifestyle instead of detract from it. Not always successful but I try my best.

sandpuppi101
05-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Do I think you are crazy! Probably{LOL}!!,but like Howdy said"you mean there is other things than Trikes"!! I feel the same way and have since I was a kid with my US90 !! Trikes have always been an obsession of mine,and always will be,and the good ole' memories of when you were a kid! I even love other peoples faces when they see these machines.A hobby,Not even close!! A way of life- of corse !!!

ScottZJ
05-10-2006, 09:48 PM
My God and my family are most important to me. But I must say I have a passion for 3 wheelers. I really enjoying riding in Gods great wilderness and getting away from the hustle and bustle of city life. It is also a way to hang and meet great people.

dickieg89
05-10-2006, 09:49 PM
See heres my scoop. My folks bought me an 83 big red way back when quads were the thing to own. We didn't have a ton of $ and they spent $500 at an auction for me on the 83 big red which is still in our stable. Thats was 14 years ago.

3 wheeling is my hobby and my passion. I love coming home from work and going to my garage and tinkering away on one of my projects. I'm not a speed freak, not a who has the most $ into his trike, I just love this game of keeping the trikes alive.

edog
05-10-2006, 09:53 PM
I am Disturbed,I am down with the sickness.lol

3 WHEELERS RULE!!!!!!

82300R
05-10-2006, 10:52 PM
i got my first trike in 1980. went from a 110,81 200,81 250r,83 200e,82 250r,83 250r. had those back to back when they were new,also had a 81 tri moto. bought a new 03 sukuki z 400 when they came out. literaly burned about three tanks of gas in it . then sold it. okay quad but whenever i rode it i just said to myself this is not my 250r. was it a better machine? probably. after i sold it i started rebuilding my atc collection(not show pieces by any means, but not piles of crap either). they are a 81 250r,82 250r with 300 kit, 82 250r roller slowly but surely coming together,80 185, two 80 110's and a 85 70. so is it a hobby,obsession or a way of life ? i don't know. i just couldn't imagine not having at least one of them. you can go buy a new quad any day of the week, but you can't just go buy a nice three wheeler. the last time we were out riding at the spillway we were talking with three guys on trx 450rs. they couldn't get over that we were riding such nice old 250r's. (i see lots of room for improvement :lol: :lol: ) my 250's were probably older than them.so its also nice to have something different than everyone else.:)

Bryan Raffa
05-10-2006, 11:02 PM
well it my birthday tomorrow and Ill be 32, to me its all about my childhood and the memories that i have with trikes, and never wanting to grow old!

MIK6
05-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Being 36 now I remember trikes when they were it!! BEFOR quads!! I would read mags in school, write parts lists and mod list out of the back of Dirtwheels building my ultamate trike. Id spend hours thinking and dreaming about "what if I had the cash and knowledge....".
Now that I have some spare cash, more knowledge, time and a place to build them... I have to. The hours in the garage bring me back to that time of my youth. The miles on the trails make me feel young, they just plain make me smile.
Am I in a early mid-life?? I hope not, I think I just aperciate the thought of trikes LOL.

MIK6 / Mike

willcamach
05-10-2006, 11:06 PM
honesly im a city kid and never owned any type of bike quad or trike. then i moved to socal and my brother inlaw got a quad and i went riding with him and caught the offroad bug so i went on ebay and bought a 200x for a few dollars so i would have something of my own to ride and not worry about destroying. and thats what started it all for me the 200x was cleaned up and rebuilt and i rode it then realized i liked working on it as much as i did riding it so i picked up a non running 250r and started fixing it up. well its almost completed now and im looking for another project. i think its a hobby but it may be turning to a way of life since im at work surfing this site more than working lol. whatever it is i love it and im glad i found this forum because i take comfort in knowing im not alone in my obsession:Bounce :Bounce :TrikesOwn :Bounce :Bounce

Russell 350X
05-11-2006, 08:26 AM
For me its more than a hobby. I have no problems with quads, they just feel funky to ride, so I prefer 3 wheels. I ride as much as possible, or as money allows to put gas into my tank. I was 12 when I started riding, and I have had the trike bug ever since, it never fades.I plan to purchase a bigger trike (250R, 350X, 200X 250SX etc) in the near furture. I enjoy working on them alot too, I've overhauled one 200E motor (just new rings) and I enjoyed it, along with everything else that comes with the routine maitnence of owning one. Theres my 2 cents. Trikes Rule!!!!!

Mosh
05-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Not only is it a way of life, it is in the blood. My son had a 78 atc 90. He loved the thing. We decided it was time to put it away for restore and we got him a lt 80. We thought it would be a surprize and he would be thrilled!! He actualy got upset because he thought we were going to sell his 3 wheeler :lol:. If you ask our daughter which is her favorite bike in the garage she goes straight for the "big yellow biko" (Tri-Z:D ).

Dwarf_250SX
05-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Hobby, but if i had the time it would be my life!

firehart
05-11-2006, 10:31 AM
I own to ride. I got my 200x a couple of years ago because I wanted to see if I liked ATVing before I spent a ton of money. My wife has her jetski that we take to the lake almost every weekend during the summer and I wanted something else that we could do as a family when the weather was not warm enough. After I got the 200x running and took it out a few times I decided that we needed another ATV. Its tough someimes when you only have one of something to find someone to go riding with. Most of my friends would go, but they do not own an ATV. So I bought the new Rancher for my wife and son to ride. I would buy another 3 wheeler if I could find a big red or something that was lower geared for my friends to ride. I won't let my friends ride the 200x unless they are experienced with three wheelers. The 200x is just too fast for a novice. I just can't imagine what a 250R or 350X would be like.

My rides
85 200x
06 Rancher

MN250R
05-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Trikes and quads are a favorite hobby of mine. I love working on them both.
But enjoy riding my ATC 250r the most.:TrikesOwn

Mr. Sandman
05-11-2006, 02:00 PM
I grew up on dirt bikes, ATC90's and 110's and by the time I bought my 85 250R back in October of 84 it was a way of life. I rode it everyday of the week and would even come home from work for lunch and take it for a spin. As I got older, the passion didn't die, but the free time to ride became less and less. Now that I'm married and have a family, I'm lucky if I go riding 6 times a year, but I still enjoy it and go as often as possible, even if it's only for a few hours on a Sunday. Anymore, I get as much enjoyment from watching my kids ride on the same trails I grew up on as I do riding myself, but I will roost on the young punks any chance I get.

Yamahondaman
05-11-2006, 02:31 PM
I Guess it would be a passion or a way of life to have a 3-wheeler...kinda like Billy said its like the Harley guys wave to each other when driving on the road but don't wave to the Jap Bike guys :-) Also back in "87" when we were fixen to have our First Son , my dad asked my wife "How did Ronnie get that TRI-Z up on the Bed" ?? :-)

YTM200BOY
05-11-2006, 03:05 PM
i think i have the sickness :lol:

Dusty
05-11-2006, 05:26 PM
well i love my trikes....i was riding over the weekend and i guy offered me a good deal for my 350x.....a 1989 toyota 1 ton truck lifted with 37s under it.....for my 350x and 500 bones....and people back at the trails were like your nuts...blah blah blah.....cause i said no way i wouldnt give my trike up for nothin.....

Dammit!
05-11-2006, 06:45 PM
I just have an obsessive personality. I typically have one major interest at a time. When I was a kid it was trikes, then for a long, long time it was music, got pretty heavy into PCs for a while, then it was home theater systems, now it's trikes again. Who knows what the next thing will be.

Throughout all my obsessions though, one interest has always been there. That's right....

Boobies.

AZ250R
05-11-2006, 07:40 PM
My dad once told me when I was just a teen, "you'll grow outa them 3-wheelers and that rock music some day, its just a phase...".

Ha, I'm 38 now and still love to rub it in that "I still have my trike and love Heavy Metal"!:twisted:

Heck I had to buy a house with a 3 car grage just for my trike. I have 3 cars now and one sits on the side of the house, because that 3rd bay is where my 250R sits dead center.:beer

Louis Mielke
05-11-2006, 08:32 PM
I just have an obsessive personality. I typically have one major interest at a time. When I was a kid it was trikes, then for a long, long time it was music, got pretty heavy into PCs for a while, then it was home theater systems, now it's trikes again. Who knows what the next thing will be.

Throughout all my obsessions though, one interest has always been there. That's right....

Boobies.

AMEN BROTHER!

threewheelin-feelin
05-12-2006, 12:37 AM
every day i think about riding my 350x.....it dosent matter what im doing i can just start thinking about it.....i just dont have the time to ride like i use to with going to college and my job.....but yeah 3wheelers have and always will be part of my every day life

CorbinKale
05-12-2006, 01:49 AM
I must admit I am obsessed with trikes. I will be 41 this month. If it was just a hobby, I could walk away from it. No way will I ever be without a trike. I kept my first 350X through 20 years of active duty and three divorces, and I just rode it again this evening. That has to say something! :lol: I will spend a day riding, then wash my trike down, dry it, apply Armor All and lubes as needed, park it, lock it, then I will stand by the light switch with goosebumps for 5 minutes just admiring how beautiful it is. THAT is obsession. When I think of my blessings, I always include the fact that I have my health, freedom, a relatively safe and civil country to live in and enough money to get by. Why? Because I need ALL of those things to be able to ride my trikes! :lol: