PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! '83 200e oil leak (pics to help)

bobbyg
05-09-2006, 06:58 PM
OK, i've got the oil leak pinned down (wasn't really a leak, more of a drain). Started as a drip and has gotten worse lately. Only leaks w/ trike running. Dry as a bone when turned off. Honestly, I'm a biologist, not a mechanic like many of you so any tips would help :wondering . I know its not the flywheel cover or the recoil, or the main bottom of the engine, but somewhere in between. Is it a bad seal or ring or something?? Any tips would help . I'm pretty handy and really don't want to take her into a shop at $40 an hour for labor if I can help it....Thanks

bobbyg

Somekindofjerk
05-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Looks to be coming from your front sprocket case seal. Or the sub trany sprocket seal. To replace either of these you have to take off the side case just behind the recoil starter.

JackFlack
05-09-2006, 07:51 PM
With a leak that bad, I am wondering if the chain didn't come off at one time and break the engine case. Maybe somene did a quick repair that has come loose.

Somekindofjerk
05-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Thats what i was going to say, but either way your going to have to remove the side case and sub tranny to see.

bobbyg
05-09-2006, 08:03 PM
OK, that's what I was afraid of. Several years ago (before my dad had it sit in the shed) the chain did pop off and that's when the original leak started, like 1998. A mechanic said he patched something ??? with JB Weld and thought it should hold. It did until recently. I really appreciate the help guys. I do have some spare '83 parts: an clean 200e bottom end without the case between the flywheel case and the main engine, also another subtranny with good hi/lo gears, as well as a new flywheel case. Any more tips on what I should do/find would help!!

bobbyg

JackFlack
05-09-2006, 08:09 PM
If the JB Weld held for that long, just redo the repair. Make sure you have a oil and dirt free surface.

bobbyg
05-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks, that's why I look to you guys for help! Is there anything that comes to mind that could be fixed somewhat permanently, or is JB Weld pretty good stuff? Obviously I'd rather replace a part that is damaged (if I can), but will try to find the damage and re-fix what I can if that's best. I'm not ready to spend hundreds of $$ on labor if I don't have to. I'll look a bit closer and try to find the damaged spot. Don't go too far, I'm sure I'll need some advice from you guys when I try to fix it myself! The way I look at it it should be a good way to cut my teeth on engine repair, no?

bobbyg

nouseforaname90
05-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Hmm.. well unless you are good with working on engines, I wouldn't try to replace the case. If it is what it seems like, there was a hole in your case allowing oil out, and the mechanic JB Welded the hole shut, and now the JB Weld has come free again. To fix it, you would need a new case, and you would probably have to split your cases to fix it. That would probably be alot of hassle for you if you don't know much about engines. JB Weld it and you should be fine.