PDA

View Full Version : shifting for dummies

tundra triker
05-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Another dumb question. I have an '83 Yamaha 225 DX. The guy I got it from said that to shift it, that it is not necessary to use the clutch and I can start out in any gear. Is this right? Thanks

Tri-ZNate
05-07-2006, 06:27 PM
NOOOO. Treat it like a car. Would ya start out in 5th gear with a car? alwasy start in first

SWIGIN
05-07-2006, 06:30 PM
well....the 225 dx didnt come with a clutch....so yeah dont use it....lol

tundra triker
05-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Hey I said I was a dummy. If no clutch, what the left lever on the handlebar for? Be nice Thanks

mean350
05-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Parking Break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

250r'en +TCB
05-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Yes and no....... To get out you always start in 1st with the clutch...... 2nd if your good and your drag racing. You can not use the clutch to go through gears, it's called flat shifting. Truckers do it exclusivly. I do it about half the time on my R. When the RPM's are just right there is no need for a clutch. In motocross you pretty much never use the clutch either. But be warned, you have to be a good EXPIERNCED rider (YEARS not weeks or months...) because if you do it at the wrong time you will destroy the transmission in a hurry....

McDerry
05-07-2006, 07:52 PM
You can float gears on most everything if you know how to match rpm at the shift.

200xcellent
05-07-2006, 08:04 PM
You can float gears on most everything if you know how to match rpm at the shift.

this is true, i used to shift without the clutch in my mustang and f150, both 5 speeds.
The left lever is a break if it has no clutch.

crackshot
05-07-2006, 08:21 PM
You can not use the clutch to go through gears,

What are you talking about? You only need to use the clutch for starting and stopping.
You can use the clutch for shifting through ALL the gears if you want.
Reason you shift without a clutch in MX is because it takes an extra movement and do not have time to clutch all the time.
When you shift without using a clutch, you get a more positive lock up and can keep it in powerband without loss. You are not going to trash transmission as long as you let up on gas between shifts.
I raced my Kawi H-1 this way on street and NEVER trashed a cluster.

***EDIT***

yes that trike is an automatic clutch

I did not know that. The post above was not meant to be an ass. Sorry if it sounded like it.

tundra triker
05-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks to those that helped me out. I'm sure you can tell by these questions I'll have more. In fact, for Mean 350, where are the conrols for the AC? lol

traxxasx
05-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks to those that helped me out. I'm sure you can tell by these questions I'll have more. In fact, for Mean 350, where are the conrols for the AC? lol

yes that trike is an automatic clutch you can start out in any gear, just dont try to start it when in gear. the left lever is your back brake/parking brake, *Edited* can use it as the back break but you dont get much of a pull to stop good as the foot brake lever will. there also is a clip on top of the left lever so when you pull it back you pust the clip down let go of the lever and it holds it in the brake position.

tundra triker
05-08-2006, 09:18 AM
To mean 350 I thoughtyou were trying to be a smart a**, so I guess that makes me a dumb a**. Sorry bout that